Kayak advice

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote michaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kayak advice
    Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 11:51am
michaux View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi. I am a novice kayaker, 62, 95kg, 1m80. I would like to join a group who paddle weekly in the bay of islands. I would prefer a sit on kayak as it is easier for me to get in and out of. But I need something that suits my limited ability but that can keep up with the group who have a mix of sit in and sit on kayaks, 4 to 5m long.

Any advice would be welcome.

Kind regards

Frank

021 1194066
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 5:56pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Look out for PJay on here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 10:58pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

See if you can get Ocean Kayak (OK , mostly referred to as Prowlers) second hand, they are lot harder wearing than those Vikings and made out of really heavy solid plastic. Perfect for when drop off the car roof. Not that light weight stuff, and the hull design and the extra weight really comes into their own once it gets choppy. Sort of like an alvey of the sea!
You can get a nicer paddling kayak in a Viking but an OK made in NZ is basically indestructible. Try dropping a heavy dive weight off a ladder if you are short on each of them to test in the shop...they'll probably  let you do it with an OK but not a Viking or stealth.
The OK basically bomb proof= white shark proof.Embarrassed

Most guys in Viking kayaks in my observation end up trading up to bigger more cumbersome models because the smaller 400 profish ( not really bad yaks actually, you might wish to consider one) can’t really it seems handle the jandel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 11:09pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I jest ... Viking 400 profish is what I‘d recommend especially if lifting on to vehicles and want a nice paddler, even though I paddle an OK 4.1 prowler elite which I really like.
Unless of course your gunna be really hard on gear. Like dropping it  on concrete, roads etc, dragging across roads like hardyakker does unintentionally  when sometimes  his  trolley bottoms out (4.7 OK Yak mind you I think .. the big one) , or dropping a dive weight on a kayak like I did once in the garage.. luckily no damage done, as was wife’s Pro fish, but I was initially concerned. If that is likely case for you, you should go the OK.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 3:59pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

https://www.wavepassion.co.nz/kayak/fishing-kayaks.html
fishmaster pro 4m length or longer are a good kayak, can get cheaper when on trademe, good bang for your buck

Ocean prowlers are a proven weapon of a kayak. You can get a wicked deal for a complete setup on trademe when they show up for sale

I am about the same size as you, I have a viking reload. Plenty of room & storage, very stable in the rough... bit pricey compared to the others above

Personally, I would purchase second hand as you will usually get something already setup with extras included & ready to go fishing

I use this side loader to help lift the yak on the roof rack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsjBPtV6vNM

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 7:35am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Reef kayaks.... plenty on the water, excellent value for your dollars
https://reefkayakclub.wixsite.com/reefkayaknz