Etec 50hp 2008

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Aljay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Etec 50hp 2008
    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 2:20pm
Aljay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looking at a boat with a 50hp evinrude Etec
What are they like?
Are they hard to sell?

Any help much appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 8:56pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

2008 was when they made a lot of changes to the design. New injectors etc. The changes as a whole improved reliability, but some of the 2008 year had teething issues. I wouldn't be put off any more than any 12 year old outboard. 

Get a full emm report if you go ahead. It will detail any issues etc.

What's the boat?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 9:26pm
bricker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I had a 2008 60hp ETEC.......and couldn't fault it!! 

Quiet, reliable and ran on the smell of an oily rag!! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 10:41am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wouldn't be put off any more than any 12 year old outboard.

hmm thats rather wide sweeping statement..
Machinery well maintained lasts for decades.. my lawn mower is original 1950s B&S reel mower.. my last daily car was 1969 over 1/2 mil kms up, never brock down.. the other a 1952 van..
 my 1st outboard a 2004 v4 johnny current 2001 v6 johhny.
 my lathe 1942 myford.
Righting off stuff like that is like writing off anyone over the age of 45 because thats how long or bodies where original evolved to last.
just a little good diet, care, maintenance and we last near 2X that.

Bottom line.. low hrs , under say 4 to 500hrs , maintenance record, and suitable for the size AND use of the boat, well propped.. nps.
 As far as re sale goes.. important part is it the unit a fair price in the 1st place?
 Its like a set of golf clubs is the purchase about the selling?
 Boats all sell easy over several months on the basis of condition and fair price.. Which is same as buying and the 2 match up.

Note: asking price is not actual real world selling price.

So good service record, which will include all faults etc..well powered for end use, hull all good.. fair pricing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 8:51pm
Platinum
Platinum

I'm not so sure about modern outboards though: if the electronics get gremlins in them it gets expensive. Then if it's been neglected. My comment was worded poorly; I was saying that brand is not the most important thing once an outboard gets to a certain age. My own outboard is an e-tec one year older so obviously I have some faith in them. 

For sheer longevity sometimes older machines were better. Case in point: modern fishing reels. I take my own ones apart to service. They last a long time, but lots of little bits with a finite life, and Shimano stops stocking parts after a few years. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 9:25pm
Platinum
Platinum

Better direct answer to OP: The etec will have as much or more low end poke as any fourstroke. It's only a 2 pot so will vibrate the boat at idle. Just as clean and efficient as a four stroke.  Less maintaining to do, and more compact. Some users have had bad experiences with some models, but the i2s are pretty good. Put some XD30 or 50 oil into the fuel at 200:1 since it's a 2008 and they no longer inject oil into the fuel prior to the lift pump. Models prior to 2008 had that feature. It was removed according to the experts on the etec forum for emissions reasons, but reliability of the fuel pump is better with some lubrication especially if it sits a bit. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 3:10pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

It was removed according to the experts on the etec forum for emissions reasons, but reliability of the fuel pump is better with some lubrication especially if it sits a bit. 

Some good oil there OneWay!

The Software and Chip was upgraded in the 08.

The advice I got is provided you service them every 3 years and have them checked every year they are like any other modern engine.

The real issue with modern engines I am told is injectors, they are like a switch and can last for a long time or can just go, there is no way of knowing. But so do 4 strokes. Which is where Yamaha 4 strokes being known for their durability might be the best option in 4s, even though Honda are the most fuel economical.

The issue with Etecs is the cost of Injectors. For the 50hp model I am told complete parts is about $1100.

If one goes, you can at least still limp home on 1.

I was told I can service it myself, but should get them checked by Evi tech for software updates and some mechanics. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 8:58pm
Platinum
Platinum

One thing that kills injectors is water in fuel sitting there for months. Gunk builds up and kills them. Then if you are really unlucky it fails lean rather than rich so you might blow a cylinder. Some oil in the fuel helps apparently but using clean fuel and running it regularly helps a lot.

The i2 series will not run on one cylinder. But then neither is it as likely to blow a cylinder if the injector leans out. That's my understanding anyway. 

I have an aux to get home, or at least get out of trouble. You can only do so much.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 12:18am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good points. Regular filter changes were also stressed to me. I forgot the time periods, but one in the boat and the one at the engine I believe.

And yep an Aux if possible is always preferable on any boat imo, coastguard is there but is nice to know if your radio quits for whatever reason you have your own means of getting home safe.