An unlikely snapper bait

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An unlikely snapper bait
    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 9:26am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Tim& I had a reasonable day out from Shelley beach on Sunday scoring a dozen snaps, ten carrots & the inevitable couple of nuisance dog fish.

My brother who lives further north at Tinopai sometime back that the locals there favour doggies as snap baits, something I had discounted as is so insipid lookind, therefore have never tried it. 

Told Tim about this seemingly myth & he opted to try it & one after another snap came aboard whilst my mullet caught only gurnard.

Never again will I curse bringing aboard a doggie unhooking it then tossing it back to whence it came ... live n learn.. 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 10:03am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Interesting Bazza, you might be onto something. Were they spotted dogfish aka lemon fish or spiny dogfish?, and did you skin them first?
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 10:41am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

no wonder snapper like doggies they are fantastic eating!! Keep em and use snapper as snapper baitStern Smile
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 12:05pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've used shark for years. I use a torpedo,and no other bait stays on better being dragged thru swells and across sand. Also it stops the lice and little pickers taking the bait before the bigger fish turn up. I leave the skin on, although if you skin it and salt it,it still stays.on the hook.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 12:26pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Certainly were not rig akaspotted shark or lemon fish, maybe about 50 cm overall, not sure what spiny dogfish look like but did not have any spikes evident ... simply looked like the common variety invariably caught on the Kaipara.

No Tim was not skinning it so took fair effort for the hook to penetrate & likewise to remove, however am inclined to think as even the flesh is very firm skinning, could work even better. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 1:39pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Pretty sure what Bazza and most people are referring to as dogfish - especially west coast harbour fishers - are actually juvinile tope (school sharks). The two ways to identify a tope easily are the kind of '2nd tail' at the top of the top tail fin and the clear almost see through nose. well that's how I describe them
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 5:20pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Pretty sure what Bazza and most people are referring to as dogfish - especially west coast harbour fishers - are actually juvinile tope (school sharks). The two ways to identify a tope easily are the kind of '2nd tail' at the top of the top tail fin and the clear almost see through nose. well that's how I describe them
f

Hmn ... interesting ... did notice & commented on the fact that one of them had a tail kinda like a stunted thresher that the other two did not have ... but as for translucent noses ... pass  .... to me they are all dog
fish but have wondered what would happen if there would be a fight if one was to be put in a tank with a cat fish ?  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 6:42am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have used Spiney Dogs myself on a few occasions in winter when i have had nothing else on offer Bazza. Skinned mine, long strip baits and have caught good Snaps. Another unusual bait Snapper love is rotten cheeseLOL. A local farmer here who runs a few pigs use to get it from cheese factory take it out and clean up on the Snaps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 6:47am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Snapper are real scavengers, they will eat anything. We used to use lightly cooked eel and it was an awesome snapper bait, real oily and tough as hell. Have heard ham also worked well at times
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 1:10pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Flounder heads,goose, and snapper eat snapper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 5:04pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Plus the eye ball from any species of fish they consider a delicacy ...
not sure about animal eyes but probably no reason not.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 5:39pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

should I use the wifes??at least then she cant see what I spent.LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 6:01pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

should I use the wifes??at least then she cant see what I spent.LOL

Just so long as she is not a Cantabrian as they are all one eyed down there, so they cannot afford to lose the remaining one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 6:24pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Snapper are real scavengers, they will eat anything. We used to use lightly cooked eel and it was an awesome snapper bait, real oily and tough as hell. Have heard ham also worked well at times

Yes, Snapper certainly are the Pig od the sea eating anything being a grandiose opportunist...

One night we were anchored in a bay north of Whangamumu. The chef ditched the left over dinner scraps over board and that night on a Lethal Lure (metal jig) I caught a snapper that was chokablok full of cooked cauliflower!LOLClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:18am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Clearly not a lot of believers in here of the "don't use Snapper frames in your berley, it puts the Snapper off" theory then, ha.

I've caught blue cod on blue cod, Kahawai on Kahawai, jack mack on jack mack... it's a dog(fish?) eat dog world out there in the sea, I reckon basically everything is eating anything it can get its jaws around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 11:12am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

don’t use Prichard and squid, I have limited success on these. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 4:29pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

don’t use Prichard and squid, I have limited success on these. 

Interesting enough on their own I find they both work fine but at one stage someone brought out squid stuffed with pilchard a concept that took off like a lead balloon when the fish decided they did not go for combo deals.

Must admit tho there seems to be distinct times of the year that squid is fish flavour of the month yet other times a real turn off ... suspect it might be linked to spawning.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 3:27pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would salmon off cuts be good as bait or turn in to burley??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:02pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I get Salmon off cuts from pak n save - great bait. Also jack macks at 4 bucks a kilo.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:42pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I use good cuts of salmon that are in the clearance bin at the supermarket when I use a longline. They stay on the hook well. Probably too well if you are using it for normal fishing as I have to cut it off even after soaking for awhile.