Slow jigging Tarakihi?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow jigging Tarakihi?
    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 10:32am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone ever had any success with this? I'd love to find a way to catch Tarakihi that isn't just bashing them over with a heavy ledger rig.

The trouble being we tend to fish for them in 60-120m and getting a small jig that they'll eat down that deep is going to be tricky.

Thinking maybe something like a trout jigging setup, but at the end of the day that's essentially just a ledger rig as well?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 1:09pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I had a good sized tarakihi eat a 120g slider in 23m a couple of weeks ago. I was very and pleasantly surprised
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 3:22pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've literally caught two over hundreds of hours of jigging, but I don't target them, so maybe catch rates could be improved. I think a little bait on the jig hooks would make a world of difference, but probably not what you are trying to achieve.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 3:36pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Lumo flies trout jigging style would be my bet. I'm sure Uncle will know though. We fish 60gm quite easily in 60m on 10 lb braid so some really skinny stuff would get a 40g maybe even a 25g down there with a short 10lb leader I would think but nah I've never caught one on a jig Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 3:53pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I put a bit off effort into trying with sliders & it was "slow", but did manage to land two.
Reverted back to the ledger rigs & finished off by filling the bin, lol.
That was a couple of weeks ago.

If you want to make more of a sport of catching them Roz, maybe downsize your gear, say 4kg stuff?  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 5:17am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Caught a few on small jigs, try find white with lumo stripes and tungsten but no bigger than 30g.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery