Leaf Springs on 40year old trailer.

Page  <1 234
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Farmer_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 9:03pm
Farmer_Dave View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Originally posted by Farmer_Dave Farmer_Dave wrote:

Oh right. Ideally I would get it dipped but would have to send it out of town as i rang taranaki galvanisers and they not back up and running yet and have big backlog. Not sure what the implications of me painting it will now have on future galvanising.... 13 years on the original axle which was galv and hardly saw sea water....
just use it and wash .

That's the plan 👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 8:07am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not sure what the implications of me painting it will now have on future galvanising

They will just give it a media/ sand blast...
 Any issues on the inside of the box section mentioned above would still exist thu.

Could drill holes fill with oil, and re plug. Tap a hole, bolt to seal maybe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rusty360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 6:44pm
rusty360 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Best thing for axles is to seal them completely so the water doesn't get in. I've seen super rusty box section from the outside that when cut open looks brand new inside.

Nearly all boxsection trailers rust out from the inside, as one the galv coating won't be as good, two ya can't wash them out 100%
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nkhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 12:01am
Nkhan View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

Good on you for saying that Dave. I only had a chat with the guy on the phone and he mentioned that as a possibility when I talked about wanting robust and easy to wash over other concerns. He did say he'd need to look at the axle. He was going to recommend multileaf until I told him I'll be using it in the salt. He runs singles on his own. 

Just a question: Where are most trailer springs and cMajority of trailer parts in the NZ market are from China.
Generally a mix of other countries but China as always number one

Trojan and the other common names around are getting stuff overseas for years. You dont get a NZ made coupling or a hub/brake set!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nkhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 12:05am
Nkhan View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

Ok, I'm going to retract, I used to build trailers for an Auckland hire company, and I now recall that I used to weld a plate to the axle with 4 holes in it and use a matching plate with standard bolts to sandwich the spring.. Hire trailers get thrashed..
However I have never done it on any of my personal trailers.. And one of those had single leaf springs.. And a drop axle.. Never an issue.
But my experience does not over ride anyone elses..

We have never welded a backing plate on an axle as mentioned because we have seen way to many axle failures on that edge. 

Having it welded affects it and leads to cracks over time. People ask us to do them because they wont have to use a U bolt

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 1:45pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

After looking at the trailer and noticed that the tires are just rubbing the top of the guards,Decided should remove and replace springs,3 leaf spring,rated 1000kg,Hmm what harm can it do to go heavier??  Got some from BNT(neighbour got a good deal for me)went with 1500kg 5 leaf now fitted have a good 40mm between tyre and guard,left side was cut everything with a cut off blade,right side yep all undid,so guessing right been done recently but going to replace do both sides.2 hrs done.

Thinking they collasped fast as checked when purchased and dont know I thought to check today.Being 3 trips out.

Non Galvinsed but good coverage of marine grease

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Page  <1 234