Mac 420 towing biscuit

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mac 420 towing biscuit
    Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 12:35am
Annie View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi would Like to be able to tow the kids round on a biscuit. We set our low sided transom up with a girdle but the girdle and tow rope would not clear the water when we tried to get the boat on the plane, I think because of the low transom of the Mac 420 Cuddy. Was thinking of adding a pole or hoop but not sure where to fix it to the boat, as the boat is all plastic.
Any suggestions?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:24am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Can anyone help Annie with this? I suggest you contact the manufacturer
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 4:12pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've seen a couple set up with a kind of hoop over the battery box and a sort of A-frame support on each side bolted to the floor about 1ft in front of the transom. No idea if they were custom or what. I'd also be wary of putting too much load on the transom, there are HEAPS of Mac 420s out there with cracks where the transom meets the gunwales....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 4:40pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Send me a photo from inside and outside of your stern.
Also the gunwales.

Actually change of plan.

However my best advice is to contact the manufacturers as they will have more insight than anyone else and may already have a solution.

If they don't, I'd be surprised. Send me the photos.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 6:55pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Call Mac boats in East Tamaki (Gallaway) - you could design your own is cheaper to do so but get a photo off Macboats to use as a template - I imagine a pole bolted to drivers side of metal battery box with stays to spread load.

FYI - my transom on my 2006 cracked is common - they make out of heavier material in newer ones from 2017 onwards I think or thereabouts - I had my crack welded and gussets put in as well.

Personally I would get both done at same time as it will crack eventually if not already - have you looked?   usually inside or outside near motor mounts at corners/joins.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 7:07pm
Annie View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yep had to get the transom welded. On that note probably not a good idea to try to tow anything!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 7:08pm
Annie View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Mac boats were a bit vague.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 6:29am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Annie Annie wrote:

yep had to get the transom welded. On that note probably not a good idea to try to tow anything!
I would think you would be okay if attached to front of battery box and load spread with supports stays - wont be cheap but a welder should be able to work out loading and strengthening required.

I never used for towing toys but know what you mean about being low at back 

Another option is cut access panels in pontoon at back and put 2 towing brackets with a base to spread load inside pontoon (solid ply screwed and glued inside pontoon).  You would have to keep towing brackets height down to reduce load but would work ok - I mounted a bracket for pulling a scallop dredge in the same way.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 7:57am
Annie View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thank you good advise
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 8:13am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There are several options you could go for; this is what I would do.

Back in 2015 I had the problem of launching my Smartwave 3500 solo at Manu bay, Raglan. I had a local plastic welder put 10mm thick HDPE plates on the back and bolted dinghy wheels to these, each attached with 4 8mm stainless bolts into the plate. The plates were welded to the hull along three sides. No issues even with the weight of boat plus motor.

Get a plastic welder to weld a vertical plate to each pontoon near the back. I'd use 10mm plastic flat to the hull if you can access the other side, otherwise an L plate with sturdy gussets. U bolt your poles in here with vertically spaced u bolts so they don't act as a pivot. Glue a sturdy wooden block on to the sole under the u bolts to take the ski pole. Rout out a hole in the plate first. 

Then you can feed the poles through the u bolts into the wooden plate on the sole. Should be easy to attach a harness to these. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 8:27am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

right click on image to open full size in new tab. The text should be readable.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 8:31am
Annie View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thank you, food for thought!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote catalyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 8:56am
catalyst View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi ,how did you mount your tow hooks /cleats on the transom as i haven't seen a mac with towing points ?

Cheers