Fly Swim action

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fly Swim action
    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 7:46pm
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

so I did a little experiment with my flies where I swam them in a bucket to see how they looked and I was quite surprised by the results.

most of my flies didn't swim hook point up but sideways. maybe this is why its better to tie flies like craigs interceptors rather than having a top and bottom colour. 

the clousers tended to swim hook point up but not always. this may depend on the material used.

loop knots tented to help the fly sit the right way up

flies with dumbells and rubber legs like shrimp or crab type imitations ride the right way up as the rubber legs float and lift the point end to sit up. This would seem to make it look like the legs and moving around the current.

so I think I will be testing all new flies in the sink now first before trying them on the water.

also considering that most of what we are imitating is supposed to be wounded or vulnerable does it matter which way they go so long as they part lots of movement.

http://nymphomaniacfishing.blogspot.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 7:51pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's good to check your flies. I now always swim them in front of me before I fish them to see if they swim ok.  Not sure how much difference it makes but it just doesn't feel right when they swim on the side.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 8:17pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Brad, check out my post on the 'snag bouncer knot' further down the list... if you haven't already seen it.

This knot is the best thing out for keeping clouser flies hook point up. It also makes them virtually snag proof.

I have continued testing the knot and it continues to shine. The only bad things you can say about it is that it gobbles a bit of line during the tie and you need a good pair of scissors to cut away the knot when removing the fly as the uni pulled down into the eye sits hard in the eye and can be difficult to cut away.

Alternatively you can use Wolfies method as described for less hassle.

However you do it it will guarantee a clouser fly that rides with the hook point up. No more worrying about whether the fly has enough dumbbell eye weight
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 12:25pm
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Craig that looks like the business. I often wondered why when using clousers I still got hung up on the bottom. Now I know why.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 1:21pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for reminding me of that knot.