Grubz up!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grubz up!
    Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 7:48pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Team. Following on from an earlier discussion on one of the threads, here's an update: i've just received a few packets of Z Man's ugly named Doormatadorz grubs I ordered in the mail.

Rather than wait until who knows when, I bought few different colours from a big online shop in the US, shipped via NZPost's YouShop service.

They look awesome. I've taken a photo of one alongside a 7" jerk shad, 5" jerk shad, and 4" grub.

They are marketed as 6" long, but the true measure is closer to 8" if the tail's in a relaxed swimming position and as you can see, they are a big profile bait.

I reckon they could be dynamite on bigger snapper on a slow barely twitching retrieve, dragged where there's not too much foul, and on the drop too - that's the plan, anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if the odd stray kingie takes a liking to them too when wound in a bit quicker. Z Man also do a 9" grub, but I like the colour range of these ones more.

If I suspect there might be a big fish about this spring, they'll be getting a swim, that's for sure.

At least until they eventually arrive here via the importer i'll have a weapon in my arsenal the wily moochers haven't seen before!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 8:22pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The perfect drag bait I reckon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 8:44pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Damn, they look good. Like your choice of colour too! Zman/OA need to get them to NZ!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 9:09pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They do look awesome. Calling it now there will be a lot of big fish picked up on these.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 8:57am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

TTK where did you order from? 

Also, I can't remember if I mentioned it before, but check out John Skinner's YouTube channel (northeast USA stuff, not Florida). He is fishing for different species, but I believe a lot of what he does is relevant to us and their marine environment is quite similar to ours. He is a very analytical angler.

Video on DoormatadorZ grubs.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 10:49am
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the vid link, very interesting. I like checking out overseas vids, maybe pick up a trick or two, but also just entertaining if I can't get out myself.

I ordered through Dick's Sporting Goods, which seemed to be the first place to have them. Other US sites had started to list them, but 'out of stock' - as in they hadn't arrived yet. May have by now...
Dick's was a reliable site, from that one experience.

Free post to the YouShop warehouse in Oregon, and then home from there via NZ Post (which adds GST in line with the NZ Govt policy brought in last year, as well as good value postage). Even with the GST, it works out a lot cheaper per packet than buying Z Mans here, and you can't get these ones here anyway so it's not like I'm doing a local shop out of business. I find it fun to get different styles and colours that aren't available here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 10:53am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 5:55pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They look a bit like the gulp nemesis
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 8:23pm
Titanium
Titanium

I'd say a cross between the Gulp 6" grub's cigar-shaped body and the Nemesis tail. But a heck of a lot more durable. 

Though after catching a giant trev on a 6.5 Nemesis earlier this year, I will always carry a few in my Gulp container! 

I like the Gulp grub in New Penny and Orange Tiger colours, but find they rip very easily - less durable than the Crazy Legs, for example.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 9:00pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How long was the shipping time from placement of order to receiving them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 9:14pm
Titanium
Titanium

Ordered on 23 Aug, shipped same day. Free economy shipping within US.

Notified by YouShop of arrival at Portland warehouse 2 Sept (though it'd been delivered the day before according to Dick's tracking)

After payment processed, shipped from Portland warehouse 4 Sept.

Arrived NZ customs 13 Sept.

Delivered at the front door 15 Sept.

Not bad, I reckon. Total all inclusive cost for 10 packets of Z Mans = NZ$11 per packet.

as an aside, Anglers Warehouse in Aussie has 16% off all Z Mans they stock at the moment, starting from a much lower price point than retail in NZ in the first place. They normally charge a A$20 flat courier to NZ, and they have a lot of styles we don't get here - particularly in the 3, 4, 5 and 7 inch paddle tail minnows, and also the 8 inch paddle tails and 9 inch grubs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 7:38am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

TTK, you're certainly on it when it comes to soft bait buying! LOL

Something good came out the lockdown, after all the good reading on here, I've got back in to softbaiting for snapper and kingfish. For the latter, I was looking for a stick bait alternative that was easy to fish. Those Hogy lures looked really good in the water, but I needed to add a big jig head to get the casting distance and that killed the action. 

In the past, I've got a few kingfish on paddle tails retrieved fast at the end of a snapper drift, so decided that paddle tails were the way forward. Couldn't find anything big enough here, so looked to China and got something I really like, no fish on it yet though. 

Those Z-Man 7 and 8 inch paddle tails look like they would be awesome for the job too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 8:12am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Depends on what mood they are in.

My best day on Kings was in a pilchard round up and my usual 5" inch shad could not miss. Was an amazing morning fishing.
I normally get at least one King on a softie each year.

With regards to the grub I would drag it out the back at a 45 degree angle roughly with the right sized jighead.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 8:44am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

TTK, you're certainly on it when it comes to soft bait buying! LOL

Something good came out the lockdown, after all the good reading on here, I've got back in to softbaiting for snapper and kingfish. For the latter, I was looking for a stick bait alternative that was easy to fish. Those Hogy lures looked really good in the water, but I needed to add a big jig head to get the casting distance and that killed the action. 

In the past, I've got a few kingfish on paddle tails retrieved fast at the end of a snapper drift, so decided that paddle tails were the way forward. Couldn't find anything big enough here, so looked to China and got something I really like, no fish on it yet though. 

Those Z-Man 7 and 8 inch paddle tails look like they would be awesome for the job too.

Haha, fishing is the only thing i spend money on, really. Life was easier when i did bait fishing!! But once I got keen on soft baiting and other lure fishing, I've enjoyed trying different things.
I also don't like paying over the odds for tackle if i can get it significantly cheaper elsewhere.
I have managed to stay away from the China market, though!!

I know that Muppet, for example, hits the water with maybe 2 different packets, max, and catches as many fish as anyone. But he's been softbaiting a lot longer than me, and I like the process of researching and maybe finding a bit of an X factor as i learn more about lure fishing.

I hooked a nice kingie once off a Waitemata Harbour channel buoy on a Storm paddle tail with in-built weight - which was a tip from an Aussie magazine. Was using a light stick bait rod and suitable line weight. When I'm back in the office and can photo copy that article I'll post it to you. The guy put up a good argument that big paddle tails are more versatile than stick baits etc, and he had photos of big Aussie kingies to back up his argument.

I think the 7" Z Man Diezel minnowz would be ideal for you, some great baitfish colours, and the Sexy Mullet has that touch of chartreuse which seems a killer. And that Mag Swimz - which I got a good snapper on up north retrieving fast when i had seen kingies under the boat. On a 1.5oz Headlockz jighead.

Let us know  how you get on with those big green paddle tails.