How do you guys cast past the breakers?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 11:07am
BlueMarlin View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

My advice is to take the advice offered

Excellent advice and yes that's what I usually to do.Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 11:21am
BlueMarlin View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by taurangatroutmaster taurangatroutmaster wrote:

Pulley rigs are overrated imo

Yep. I think I'll just try a standard running rig starting off with and see how things pan out. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lips/hooked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 7:59pm
lips/hooked View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tried the running rig this evening for no luck but big side ways rip and even the 5oz breakaway wasn't enough, so I don't blame the rig at this stage.
$hit happens
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:59pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

My advice is to take the advice offered

That is good advice Smudge, is that your subtle way of saying you couldn't cast a rig off a beach to save your self?!LOL

yupp
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Griff the dog. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2023 at 1:32pm
Griff the dog. View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I know old thread but 
Your rig makes a difference
I find pully rigs time consuming and expensive 
My usual rig is  tapered shock leader  running swivel   and about 800 mm dropper to sinker another   swivel at end tied to  a 800mm forty lb trace.
Seems to be almost as effective as pully rig yet far simpler and no issues releasing when using a half pilly. 
Converted a mate to this rig and it gave him another twenty meters over the sinker running direct on main line and trace at end he was using.
Start your cast with your leading hand high and rotate pulling leading hand in to chest and trailing hand pushing up .
Good gear helps 
I can do easy75 meters  with cheap rod and reel . 
On my better gear 95 meters with cd surf and penn surfblaster 110M with penn fathom oh and okuma  mad dog.
@ 5'6 " 70 kg 60 winters you do not need to be big and strong just hone your technique. 
Page  <12