Game fishing fitness - anyone do any?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Game fishing fitness - anyone do any?
    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 11:02am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A fight playing a gamefish can be a prolonged event and can be a very big strain on the body.

I'm happy to have a 30 to 60 minute fight but prolonged 3 hour + would be beyond me - I'd hand the rod over to another angler.

Does everyone just go out and grab the rod and get on with it or have you done any pre-conditioning of any sort and, if so, what exercise do you do?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 5:52pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Haha, takes me back to my first one. If your boss said to you stand up and fight only, and then to do squats for the next hour or so, what would you say. Alright on the day you are that pumped, but try walking the next day.
So some squats could help
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 6:02pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You could still scream delight, that takes abdominal strength.

Not that I'm supporting screaming.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 7:47pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When I was fit... and went to gyms, like 4 to 5 days a week. Would suggest following.
- Sit ups and leg raises
- Curls 
-Triceps extensions 
- Press ups in conjunction with bench press
- Squats and lunges, lunges great exercise as builds core strength and balance, and balance is particularly important in a stand up situation.
Knowing how to use a harness properly and well set up, as well as how to use reel (both speeds ideally) and good boat work (very important) will make world of difference. Good fighting technique is key...
Hydrate the angler with water, not beer
Make sure you do not have too much clothing on.. once you are warmed up .. need to get your gear off. Smile.
Why wife fishes mainly in her bikini.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 7:15am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don't do any gym work but walk up the Hakarimata Steps - 1500 - 3 or 4 times a week and cycle on the other days. Use 2 x 2kg dumbbellsdoing a few lifts and some winding.
Totally agree with having good harness technique, foot placement and clothing. Have taken some stick for wearing lycra bike shorts and top. I've suffered having had a pair of nail clippers in pocket with harness resting on it and an hour into the fight having to get a mate to reach into your pocket to remove it!!
Also pays to be ready during your strike time. I always wear gloves as some reels are straight braid and level-winding under tension is very hard on finger tips.
Water hydrating is also good but had a mate hold a drink bottle to my mouth and thought he should squeeze it to help, just as I was sucking....just about drowned as so much water choked me. Say what you want - don't assume your helper knows
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 1:43pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm now 65 retired and un fit/ fat, however a cupla years ago I used the simulator at Decoro ..I was F%#@d after about 6+ minutes.
I'm in Papamoa and with the approaching season, are planning to give at another go in Betty Boop if I can find someone to join me on the Bay Of Plenty. ...Usual Arrangements.
Note old pic.
New 4.5mtr telescopic riggers....renamed Betty Boop..250hp 4stroke Yamaha
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 10:26pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gee  we’ll set up rig mate, if lived nearby, would be with you like a flash to fish with you. Never be afraid to be proud of proclaiming a fisherman’s true figure .. well done on that. No point in being an athlete and not enjoying life and a few refreshments most of time.
I’m the the quite chubby fella in photo below this season....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:00pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The other man in photo is Rob the Welshman... an elderly fellow in incredible condition who comes to NZ every year to test himself against NZ’s best fish. Has caught marlin and day in question we needed help to get 3rd bigger yellowfin of 3 we caught out of boat. which is why that bigger fish isn’t in the photo.
Rob drinks beer slowly and enjoys it, and rarely drinks on boat unless a fish is caught. He doesn’t smoke and eats in moderation. He is former merchant navy for most of his life and sailed all over the world,  and now a professional poacher in Wales.... mainly peasants from estates. He lives frugally so can come to NZ every year to go fishing, with likes of Pete Saul, Rex Smith, John Going, Brendan (used to when had Innkeeper who got him his first marlin), Simon Crampton,  and if all else fails .. me. The guy is a legend, loves getting his shirt off and is very popular with the ladies in tutukaka.
He is what we should aspire to.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 9:37am
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It was interesting watching ITM Fishing last 2 shows with the ABs and seeing these big fit and strong guys struggle.  Sure they chose not to use gimbals but it really impressed on me that technique is just as important as fitness.
I also think that aerobic fitness is equally as important, possibly even more so than strength.  When your heart and lungs are used to working to keep your muscles oxygenated and can recover from exertion quickly you can cope with longer and repeated fights.
Lastly, I also think that nothing can really prepare your body for extended fights, say greater than 1-2 hours at 10+kg of drag.  You just can't train your body to be used to that sort of effort, short of actually doing it once or twice a week.  Being fit and strong helps but my experience is that those muscles still ache for days, your thighs are buggered and dimpled from the weight of the gimble and your body just feels exhausted. Can't take the smile of my face even thinking about it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 5:25pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shane - Does he eat the peasants?

I lived near an estate which reared pheasants for game shooting and used to visit with a few mates with powerful air rifles and bag a dozen or so.
I was in the merchant navy, too and don't look too dissimilar to him. Don't chase the women as married for 48 years.

Agree that aerobic fitness is important. 6 hours cycling around Taupo helps at 70. Had the dimple bruised thighs from a BE Tuna played at 12+ kg, I'm 70 kg. Hook pulled at duck board!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 6:37pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’m sure he eats some of the pheasants but also sells them to local restaurants and pubs. My memory is hazy but seem to remember Rob saying pheasant pie was a popular local pub fare.
I recall him saying some who shoot pheasants on those estates for sport, don’t necessarily take them all home...as in shoot so many, so Rob takes surplus by arrangement with shooters and land owners. 
I have only had pheasant in NZ at a restaurant ... is very nice tender meat, especially served with a nice sauce.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 4:43pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I back squatted a marlin for five reps a few years ago, still got the scar on my neck from the rash.
Any barbell programme would be perfect, lots of squats and grip strength from the bar. All the accessory work you need to do for that is covered in Shane’s original post.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 6:41pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

True  Stu... it’s often forearms which give out to cramps in my experience. On one solo fish many years ago, I drove my boat home using my elbows to steer, such was pain to grip the steering wheel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 7:24pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I agree that hard core stand up guys should do squats and even work a rowing machine.

Same for chair fishing I guess, but with a chair you can relax more and conserve your energy, maybe young bucks go hard and then blow out and us 'ole farts have to do the lifting and winding!LOL

As to forearms that Shane is saying above, I remember Peter Pakula saying his team used to wind under tension the 1000m of line on each reel just before the season. He said a certain forearm muscle was sorted for the season, I cannot remember which one but he placed alot of value on it... and the reels were wound at speed, maybe he might chime in.Clap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 7:48pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Brazililan Jujitsu/free style wrestling 2x week, pilates, cross fit?  being fit is just part of life. Still it wasnt enough when I was on a  sword for 9 hours
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 8:09pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by jakepitsville jakepitsville wrote:

Brazililan Jujitsu/free style wrestling 2x week, pilates, cross fit?  being fit is just part of life. Still it wasnt enough when I was on a  sword for 9 hours

I feel your pain Jake, but I know you are a tough fkr, nek time broCoolClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 8:05am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by jakepitsville jakepitsville wrote:

Don't think anyone ever trains for a nine hour stint on a swordfish.
I'd have surrendered and handed the rod over.
Respect!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 11:56am
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

330ml arm curls for me!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 12:42pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Raging Bull Raging Bull wrote:

330ml arm curls for me!

So low weights, high reps for you RB?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 10:06pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Well, you can over train aye!