Beginner - 5 year old in Auckland

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JOFFY1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beginner - 5 year old in Auckland
    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 10:57am
JOFFY1978 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, 

My 5 year old desperately wants to do his first fishing 'trip'. We've got all the equipment, but not being local, I'm looking for a safe land spot to take him in Auckland ( I live in Greenlane)
I'm not bothered with what we catch, I'd just love for him to experience catching something. 
Any advice appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mikeltj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 1:46pm
mikeltj View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Piper rock PT.Chev. ? where probably hundreds of kids started,a safe place, take burly,full tide,  piper etc .    tite  linesfor the little fella.                                                                                                          l
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JOFFY1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 2:13pm
JOFFY1978 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 3:34pm
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Can pm you an easy freshwater spot in West Auckland where we take the mates kids fishing if that's any use to you. Always get a few tench and Rudd
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 8:48pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Once the lockdown is over try Ti-Point wharf near Leigh. It's about an hour away.  It's low to the water and in a calm estuary with clear water and plenty of sprats and mackerel. The odd kingfish visits in summer but there can be trevally and john dory as well. 

Avoid big bottom baits for snapper, you will just hook stingrays or eagle rays.  Take berley and let him catch the live bait while you set up a big rod to with live bait and leave it. Slide bait rigs work well or just ledger rigs. Avoid baloons when it is busy.  If you catch something big there will be plenty of excitement. 

It gets busy on weekends in nice weather so if you can do weekdays it's even better. Best in easterlies as it is sheltered.  Tides don't matter too much but I like the incoming best.

Another option is the wharf near the little maritime museum in Devonport (not the devonport wharf, though I think that can be good too).  Incoming tide with berley. It's a high wharf with little access so a lifejacket is a must for him.  Bonus is when he gets bored you can go to the museum and there is a cafe for lunch and coffee.  Sprats, piper, snapper and kahawai on offer with kings possible in summer.

Have fun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JOFFY1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 9:02pm
JOFFY1978 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Perfect, that’s great advice. Thanks very much. Yes a life jacket was first thing I bought, before the rod and reel!
Thanks again
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 1:23am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stanley Bay wharf (Devonport) or the dinghy ramp.heaps of sprats.Do not muck around using those multiple hook rigs,just a very light weight and single hook to start with,I go there now and again with a mixture of flour/water/vegemite,mix so not runny but can roll in to a ball and press on to hook, about an hour is enough for the young fella,then go for a wonder through northhead tunnels.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 6:55pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Most wharves etc you will catch sprats or jack macs with a chance for kahawai. Start fishing an hour after low tide.
Just try fishing local first, a little berley will bring em round.

For kids jsut fish till the funs tops and then do something else, keeping them interested is key to them wanting to go fishing again.Even you hooking a bigger fish and giving them the rod and helping them reel it in is super fun at five.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 7:05pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Murrays bay my local wharf I would not recommend. Too high not many fish although good for squid at night.
Inner city wharves round Wynyard quarter and convention centre hold few surprisingly good fish
Can’t beat Ti point (where I learnt) and as previous poster put up. Bit of a drive though. Leigh wharf full tide not bad either for sprats. Ti point wharf holds makeral though, which is why sometimes good big fish come in to prey, close to very good rock fishing as well, and plenty of tide flow. Used to be awesome for Trevs and Parore.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 7:17pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Murrays bay my local wharf I would not recommend. Too high not many fish although good for squid at night.
Inner city wharves round Wynyard quarter and convention centre hold a few surprisingly good fish  and sometimes bait fish.
Can’t beat Ti point (where I learnt) and as previous poster put up. Bit of a drive though. Leigh wharf full tide not bad either for sprats and sometimes piper. Ti point wharf holds makeral though, which is why sometimes good big fish come in to prey, close to very good rock fishing as well, and plenty of tide flow. Used to be awesome for Trevs and Parore.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 4:13pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Orakei wharf (Kelly Tarlton's)  at night is very good for fishing at night. 
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.