Lure-making

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cormorant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lure-making
    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 3:11pm
Cormorant View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi people.  I've just joined the forum.  Some of you will figure out who I am - I've been developing a business making CNC machined wooden lures for the last couple of years, based in Central Hawke's Bay (about as far from the coast as you can get in NZ).  Obviously I want to be part of any discussion about my own products, but equally I value your inputs into stickbait and popper design as well as the types of lure I've got on offer.  I don't want to break any forum rules by telling how to find my website (hot off the press) so you will just have to search if you are interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 3:51pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cool, and welcome to Fishnet mate, how about throwing up some pics of your lures. Might generate discussion. Thumbs Up
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cormorant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 8:40am
Cormorant View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

OK - I'll give it a go.  There are 5 styles I have developed and am continuing with.  They comprise a stickbait, a popper, two bibbed crankbaits and a final design that is a bit different.  This last design is an asymmetrical bibless hardbait.  I have registered the design as it is different enough to be worth protecting.Some of these lures are early versions that had holographic self-adhesive bound on.  I've recently developed a hot-press that does a better job.  The attachments points are a one-piece laser cut 316 stainless "chassis".
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 8:27am
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

sizes and weights? the attachment points look very small for any grunty splits rings to be honest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cormorant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 8:51am
Cormorant View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The stickbait shown here is 76gms and around 160mm long.  There is a 135gm version too, but I'm not making any more of them at the moment as most outfits these days seem to be a bit light for the big lures. The chassis is 1.8mm marine stainless, 4mm ID.  I generally use an 8 or 9 Owner Hyperwire ring on the 76gm lure, but you could go up to 10 or 11.  The popper is 114gms and 180mm in length.  It is made from Paulownia with hardwood laminated to the front section so the cup is stronger.

The two wobblers are slightly lighter in construction as I am really targeting North Queensland species (Barra, Coral trout and Mangrove Jack).  The wobblers are also Paulownia with hardwood front end.  The hardbait is more trout/salmon size.

I haven't had any issues getting good-sized rings on these lures, but the ring size is easy to change - just a number in a CAD file.