Smartwave 4800

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote miker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smartwave 4800
    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 10:14am
miker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi, Has anybody had a Smartwave 4800sold my Barcrusher to big to handle by myself just after something easy to launch, esy to handle, and can handle the seas off Whanganui. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 7:12pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My 3500 handled Raglan just fine. Would imagine the 4800 to be better. Get scuppers or a decent pump.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 7:30pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Son reckons that in Aussie the 4800 has a reputation of being a very wet boat whereas the 4200 is supposedly much drier. On open boats like this if you get a "Wet One" it can make boating a very unpleasant experience.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 7:48pm
Platinum
Platinum

Mine was a 3.5m dinghy so obviously wet. The reverse chines helped some, but wet in a crosswind and  steep chop. Never bothered me much, as in conditions that I got wet in, getting wet was a minor issue. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote miker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 1:37pm
miker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The engine is a 2012 Yamaha 60HP FS with 49 hours on it, someone on TM as ked the question is the hours correct, they are, maybe the owners did not like getting wet so they didnt use it. 
Cheers guys for the replies, guess I will keep looking
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 11:33pm
Platinum
Platinum

I would at least consider it if you are interested in an open boat. I don't think any CC of that size will be truly dry in all weathers. My dinghy handled some big waves well as long as they were well spaced. For a bit more coin there is the runabout version on TM with a windscreen and clears. Worth a look also, but plenty of other options for that $$. 

The zero maintenance aspect of plastic, and the fact that I did not need to worry about paint scraping at jetties etc, was also really good. 

The 4200 is smaller, better reverse chines throw down the spray more than the 4800, and as I said even in the 3500 tiller steer I only got wet when there was a short sharp lake chop. Rarely happened at sea, even off Raglan. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 8:48am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There was a post a while back of a manufacturing issue where the boats were coming out of the mold out of true. One was overblown and fat the other was bent like a banana so I would take a long strait edge with you and check for being straight. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 1:34pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

There was a post a while back of a manufacturing issue where the boats were coming out of the mold out of true. One was overblown and fat the other was bent like a banana so I would take a long strait edge with you and check for being straight. 

yeah the bloke was on to his 4th hull I think all new and all bad,

there "was" quite a few posts about it but then it's seems it upset the powers that be something to do with the manufacturer advertising in the magazine I suspect...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 1:54pm
Platinum
Platinum

Mac boats own them now. Probably teething issues in the molds. As long as they fix it and do right by the owners it should work out in the end. It is good advice though. They really need proper trailer support with bunks under the chines as well or they will lose shape as the hull conforms to the trailer.