A fun morning with a few Snaps off Muriwai

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A fun morning with a few Snaps off Muriwai
    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 4:27pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Sorry guys bit excited in this one - just love Muriwai when it producers and had to rub it in a bit for Stevo :-)
Although there was going to be a nice little weather window to get back out and smash some Snaps and Carrots in the little FC, my catch up fish with Stevo was going to be fishing the sands of Muriwai. The constant E/NE winds and a little drop in the swell I was keen to get back out there for a surfcast, the tide wasn't bad for us either being a low around 9am.
We meet up in Kumeu just after 6.00 and made our way out in foggy conditions, it was a great start to our little Reel Kiwi Fishing adventure. Crossing over the dune with the sun making it's way out of bed Stevo headed north. We arrived a little early but I don't mind getting a little wet when it comes to fishing, we found a nice little spot where a bank was forming for us so we set up for the morning. It was airy with the low fog rolling over the dunes and it just makes Muriwai so more magic. I baited up and waded out as far as I could before giving the rod a good flick. Still being quite far from the lip of the bank, I was just making it in to that calm water you want to fish. Stevo although giving it a good flick wasn't quite making it but he was the first to get a good hit, my pick was a Kahawai being still in a bit of the wash but you just never know. After he flicked out a new bait I hooked up to my first fish, man I love fishing Muriwai and although it was just a Kahawai it was still a lot of fun.
I flicked out a new bait and after awhile I felt my line go a little slack then a few little twitches and I knew a fish was having a go so I struck and I was hooked up again, once again it's so cool not know what you may have. It could be another Kahawai, a Snap, a nice little carrot or even a Trev, this is what makes fishing this place so much fun. As it got closer I could feel that it wasn't a Kahawai, most times they jump in the surf - could this be our first little Snap for off the sand. It was coming in with the waves then as the surge subsided a nice little snap skipped across the water, not big but well take-able at around 34cm so I decided to keep this one. Stevo was pretty quiet but he was still not making the channel even though the tide was dropping, it wasn't going to be the perfect low tide due to the swell being over a mtr so we just had to get a little more wet. I flicked out another half pillie and now that the fish were a more on the bite with the low tide pretty much on us I stood at the ready.
Something grabbed my bait and I was hooked up again "Yea boy" I'm hooked up, I was having a lot of fun and I told Stevo to get in there and get wet - you have to make that channel man....This was a little better fish, maybe a nice Trev but moments later I could see the whitish pink tail then a nice Snapper head pop out of the waves. Chhha-hoooo it's a good snapper boy, still not big but a nice one for magical Muriwai. It was around 45cm so I quickly dispatched it so I could quickly get another bait out. The tide was on the turn so we didn't have long. Now making the channel I flicked out another bait. Walking back letting a bit of line out, as I got back to where Steve was standing I tried flicking the bail wire over only to have line flicking out. Something had pretty much grabbed it straight away and I was hooked up again. It was another nice little Snapper around 38cm - another for the bin. While I was baiting up I herd Stevo yell out "Yea boy" I was glad he had hooked into something until I seen it once back at the car. It was a little flounder half the size of ya hand - oh well at least he hooked something (a nice little catch and release for Stevo)
The tide was really starting to push us back and it was getting hard to make that channel, I flicked out my last bait. Stevo had given up but it's hard to stop when your having fun and catching fish. There was a lot of pull on my line with that rising tide a strong current sweeping across the bank, this is when you just have to stand and wait. It took awhile but again something rattled at the bait and I struck - yep I was hooked up again 6 baits / 6 fish. This was a little different, and I knew it had to be a nice west coast Trev. Man they are so much fun to catch off the sand - it wasn't a big one but they don't need to be big to have a good tussle with them. Even though the tide was well and truly on it's way in I just couldn't resist and I said to Stevo I have to try one more - that good ole fisho saying (just one more) That was pretty much it for the morning, we tried a few little high tide holes through the arvo and managed a couple more nice Snaps in the late evening - even Stevo got a goody to his name.
I just love fishing Muriwai even on a slow day I would pick it over a fish fulled day out in the little tin, it's just a magical place.
A great day out fishing with a mate and a few nice fish for the bin - a magic day in my books.
Tight lines