Roast/Smoked Chicken

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roast/Smoked Chicken
    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 4:05pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Roast & Smoked chicken on rotisserie.
Wood chips; apple & cherry soaked in brandy. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 4:12pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That looks nice...
I do chicken pieces in the smoker with apple maple fejoa
A soy marinate.. slow at around 45Deg for 5 or 6 hrs then turn heat up for the last 20 min / 1/2 hr to get internal temps above 65 deg
Still got to get around to a whole chicken.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 5:35pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bet it tastes as good as it looks, well done.

Yes steps, Feijoa is a lovely wood to use, beautiful sweet flavour all by it's self.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 9:44am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got to cure the wood well and remove all the bark.. bench grinder wire wheel works good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 1:53pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi, thanks for compliment and the idea of using new flavour woods for smoking.
Unfortunately my main smoker is a pellet smoker so the only pellets on the market that i'm aware of are imported from US.
Over the past few years I've noticed an increase in the variety of different types of wood. However I would like to buy some local pellets, like Pohutukawa, Feijoa, Manuka, etc 
but I'm unaware of any manufacturers in NZ for these types of pellets.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 3:12pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Don't think you can buy any of those in pellet form, pretty sure of that. I also use USA Treager pellets very good. Hickory for most meats, pretty much the same as Manuka. Apple and  Cherry for my cheese.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 5:50pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I went away from manuka and pohutukawa as tend to be a bit bitter.. ladies notice it more.
 Hickory/ maple/ apple/ fejoa/peach tend to be my main go to.

I have never used pellets.. just dry  trunk punings for a yr or so in fire wood lengths. Then cut to lump sizes, around 25x25 x30 mm  and throw chips over them.
Have you tried using pellet sized wood chips?  or experimented along those lines?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 6:23pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Steps i use the A-MAZE-N smoker tube loaded with pellet's some times. The 6 inch burns well for up to 2 1/2 hours the 12 inch for up to 5 odd. used for cold smoking or put one in with chosen pellets into BBQ  or such for more smoke. Hickory burns very hot so not so good for cheese. Yes have used all sorts of mediums over the last 50 years just love smoking whatever, always striving to be better that the last cook. Admired another bloke on this forum for his smoking not sure of name.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 6:27pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

ladies notice the smoke, it would be more like over smoked with whatever medium has been used, that is easy to do. Smoking needs to be just a waffle of smoke not drowned to the bitter end.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 8:54am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I came across a semi retired (from commercial smoking) guy who does custom smokes. Asked a lot of questions.
 1st thing he said  drop manuka and pohutukawa...and the ladies bit.
When he does a custom , say salmon, smoke and its meant to be manukua.. he has to use it cause of the packet label, but the amount is only enough to satisfy the label requirements.