Using tank water to flush motor

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cldlr76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using tank water to flush motor
    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 6:44pm
Cldlr76 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi,

While sitting at home looking at flat water getting frustrated at not being able to go out because of the water restrictions I’ve been thinking about installing a tank to collect roof water to use to flush the motor, wash the trailer, car, water the garden etc.

Does anyone know what sort of pressure is needed to flush a motor using muffs?  I assume a gravity feed system wouldn’t be enough.

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 7:40pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Should work as the motor has a impeller that sucks water up. I know my Suki had another intake under the planing strake that they recommended I tape up if using muffs as could suck enough air to airlock but I always had enough pressure from the tap. 
Some flush with a drum = no pressure. 
Ask the agents would be the best bet.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 8:54am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is a min / max pressure (20 to 40psi) for evinrude and johnsons, the others I do not know either way , but would be save to assume so.
Our old place had around 80/90 psi

Muffs are below impellers, may need the pressure to at least get some water up around the impeller that would be dry.. (wear or sticky ?)
 Drum water usually up around the impeller, up above cavitation plate , like when at sea.

My thoughts..
Impeller pumps , unlike diapham pumps, are not self priming.
 Get an issue picking up the water, no cooling on cylinder walls, hot spots, pistons may grab, ring/ piston skirts issues etc.