Taking Mussels from mussel farms.

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 6:44am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I guess the only people recs need to listen to is MAF. Have they and will they prosecute?
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 10:31am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If it is theft, it would be a police matter.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 12:04pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So we need to establish if it’s theft. I’m a rope blue mussel guy but would be interesting to see what facts were on legality.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 12:31pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

on one hand they say "we dont mind" next hand says "its theft but public can fish in there"So begs the question is it actually public water or do the farms lease the water?

I am picking that as long you dont interfer with the main dropper no actual issue and keep clear of working barges.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 2:04pm
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have heard of a mussel farm that leaves a shorter rope available for locals. It is marked for them to recognise and light enough to pull up for a feed. I guess this is safer and better than people mucking around radomly.
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 10:50pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

An interesting discussion.  I'll add my two cents worth.

I believe the mussel dropper ropes are seeded by the mussel farm operator. This would / should make them the property of the operator. Other ropes however are not seeded and mussels growing on these ropes or floats have self-seeded which would make them fair game for the recs. For the mussel farm operator to make a complaint they would need to provide evidence that the mussels taken by the recs were from their seeded ropes. At this point it becomes all too hard for the mussel farm operator. In the event the mussel farm operator found recs pulling their seeded ropes, they would then be in a position to make a legitimate complaint of theft to the police. 

Page  <12