spey rods.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote canadakiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spey rods.
    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 5:23pm
canadakiwi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just wondering if anyone is using a Spey rod for saltwater fishing, i Occasional use my 6 wt switch at Mokau river mouth, mostly to defeat the wind, But normally i fish all salt water with a 9wt XI sage.  
 Due to covid-19 and NZ shutting down, my usual six week trip home didn't happen this year, bit of a nuisance, esp since all my heavy fly fishing gear is in Taranaki.
 So i am off in six weeks to the Skenna river Canada, for a 12 days of salmon and steelhead, Normally i just use my 7 and 9, but I've had learn to spey cast,  on my bucket list, so have two days of lessons and 3 days with a guide and jet boat, and a week on my own, I've put money aside to buy a Spey rod, once ive had a few lessons and tried out different gear. 13-13.6 foot 7-8, 600-650 gr seams to be very common choice. 
 Pretty sure a Spey would have its uses, for estuary and beach, curious if any one has/is using one and what weight/length 
 Very much looking forward to the trip, was a long cold winter, and covid has disrupted many plans, Sure miss the west coast, and powerful fighting fish, 

I check in in a few days, and see if anyone is using a two hander in NZ, 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 5:55am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sounds good Grant I haven't used a Spey rod at all, but have been intrigued by what applications they have in the salt. Specifically I would imagine that they would be wading applications in areas where back casts are hindered or you need more distance. Certainly, watching people blast big casts across the Tongariro is a sight to behold. It looks like a very appealing way to fish. I'll be interested to hear if anyone has applied it to the New Zealand salt
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 10:38pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ah a subject I'm pretty familiar with. An old mate of mine Max Garth used to use them a lot in the salt. He used them on beaches to get out wide, as well as rod length assists keeping above the breaking waves.

I can't say Iv used double handed rods in the salt much personally, but I used them in the fresh a lot. Quite a lot of people using them in the fresh in NZ these days.

Some really nice rods out there, it all comes down to budget. I'v got some lovely rods, but it's easy to blow $2k on a double handed rod, but that's not to say you can't get some bargains.

My current favorites are the Epic DH13 rods (i'v got a 6# and an 8# version). One of the great things about these rods is that they are 13' 6 piece, so that they are the same length disassembled as a normal 9' 4 piece. Very handy for portability. My other 13' rods are 4 piece (as is common) which are a bit of a pain to travel with.

https://swiftflyfishing.com/collections/custom_fly_rods/products/two-handed-spey
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote canadakiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 7:30am
canadakiwi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the comments, I bought an epic 6wt glass last year for my birthday present, very enjoyable fly rod,  but I wont be buying one of there Speys for a while, too expensive, and with having both my 7wt and 9wt rods and reels stuck in NZ, and re buying in Canada, its going to be a low/mid grade end Spey rod and reel, I will see what happens, 
 I kinda thought, there might have been the odd person using, a Spey for KY and kingfish. 
Fishman has keyed in on one of the main reasons, I want to learn Spey, is fishing areas with a reduced back cast, 
Looking forward to the trip, its 8-10 years since I was out for steel head and Coho salmon, New hardy Demon and Zephrus, too put a bend in.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 1:08pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Maybe have a look at the Redington double handed rods then? Outstanding value for money.

I just picked up one of their Dually rods as a backup switch rod. $250 delivered in NZ   A deal I just couldn't pass up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 3:43pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

On the topic, I posted a video in the freshwater thread that will give some info. It's focused on trout but shows what the rods and lines can do. Enjoy.