Fat Cats

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fat Cats
    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 7:10pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 7:32pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Certainly looks like a capable little beast. Perfect spero machine. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 11:10pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wonder if it's any relation to seahull?

I'd admit to being surprised at the 15hp min. At 240kg hull, and 2 up with 150kg motor and gear, I'd wouldn't have less than the 30hp. Preferable 40hp.

I had a Smartwave built of the same material. Not the best looking, and it scratches up a bit so skin resistance is a bit higher=slower top speed. Also heavy for its size. 

On the pro side, you never had to paint it or anything, and it was almost indestructible. No worries with concrete ramps or rocks, except the odd scratch. 

Looks stable and the above waterline deck seems good. Take it for a test and get back to us eh? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tekohiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 3:24pm
tekohiwi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have done 40hrs in mine been to aldermen,mercury is owned black dog cat before not the same but not 40thou either stable,quiet easy launch/retrieve powered by 20hp merc 4str great boat for size
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 3:23pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For Transformations...

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 4:43pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Anyone have a fat cat, what do they go like??

extra $1k spent would be worth it over the parsun motor
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 4:58pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Anyone have a fat cat, what do they go like??

extra $1k spent would be worth it over the parsun motor

Yep and go for a four stroke, but the small 2 strokes are good on fuel also.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 5:43pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went up to the demo day as i am in the market for something 4- 4.5m.  Seems a decent build,very sturdy. Totally different design and designer from seahulls cats.

Went for a ride and felt how it handled, bows about the same at rest or at speed,doesnt really rise much.Didnt throw any water inside either.Tracked extremely well,like it was on rails, didnt tip or lean over even slightly even doing a near 180 at a decent clip.
Easily enough hp for 3 up with the 30hp merc 2 stroke it had on it.Very stable,dry and nippy with that setup.

Went for a walk and wrote out a few thoughts about it and went back n chatted to the guy about them.

The guy doing the demo rides told me the demo boat was the third one ever made and they have made and sold 25 ( seemed a low number,could have misheard ?) now and so been altering a few things.

Where the tow hook plate is attached to the boat seemed a small area for a plastic boat,having owned a smartwave, i thought over time the screws would pull out. Later models are attached by a plate covering a much larger area and by alloy plates both sides of the plastic and bolted together.I would also assume the alloy holding the bow roller on would come under stress during usage on hot days as well, over time likely would come loose.

Designed to use the gunnels/ gunwales as the seating whilst moving.I would get seats installed or use a chillybin as a seat, as the gunnels were sagging in the centre if you looked hard.Guy said yes,they are plastic and can happen.

With regard to cavitation as uses a single outboard, they have a small third pod or chine under the hull and seems to work fine as certainly didnt notice even a whiff of cavitation and i was trying to get it to cavitate when i drove it.

Overall thought well made, very stable and lite weight.Workable decksize is huge for the size of the boat.Def high on my list of possibles.Would pair it with a 40hp for carrying bigger loads out to the islands for overnighters.

They seem very keen to please and said they will happily add anything you can think of in way of alterations and fitting out however you like or outboards etc etc.

Heading over to try out a kingfisher 410 and 450 mini alloy cats within a week or two to compare apples with pears.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 9:19am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I did find this online while looking for reviews on 5m fibreglass boats (to get some ideas for my ongoing build.)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 1:43pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the write up Wanda Ra, sounds pretty good overall.

I shall look forward to a write up on the Kingfisher nextThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 6:29pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Wanda Ra, very informative. Makes me even more keen to have a closer look 👍

We don't know what we don't need till we've got it