Okataina jigging fly recommendations

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fubar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Okataina jigging fly recommendations
    Posted: 15 May 2020 at 5:01pm
Fubar View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Heading out to Okataina tomorrow afternoon, anyone got any recommendations on what to use for jigging and or trolling?
thanks
Chris
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 9:41am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you can't go wrong with a Pat Swift rig for jigging in the Rotorual lakes.
But whether you buy rigs or you make up your own, I'd have a bully/koura style fly on the bottom - e.g Pat's Traffic Light. or a Woolly Bugger is a good option - and a couple of UV smelts on the upper spaces.
If you have any spare time, try casting a big floating egg "fly" or a Marabou Booby on a 60cm trace below a small ball sinker into the deep water off the main beach. Let it sink down and sit, give it a few twitches.
You get some surprising results from that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fubar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 3:45pm
Fubar View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

didn’t see this until i had already left, keen to give the last thing you said a try,
caught 5 trolling most around 5 pounds with one small, only kept 2
beautiful lake to fish on, tried ginger mic and light /dark grey ghosts, got some koura style fly's but all the fish I saw on the fish finder were 6/5 meters, surpriseing I thought
will put some Traffic Light and Woolly Bugger in my fly case for next time
thanks for the help info
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 9:22am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

If you hunt around, there's a good video of Pat Swift fishing Okataina with a young guy.  (but too late for 2020 trip)
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!