kingie jigs

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: kingie jigs
    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 9:08am
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Looking to buy a few king specific jigs when lock down down grades. Am specifically after 200-300g, what are peoples favourites and which colour?

Cheers!  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 10:31am
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For the price you can't go past Killwell Broken Arrow jigs. They do tend to bend a bit but easy to bend out again. Zest and jigging master alien or rocket are good too! Then you have the Japanese brands such as Shout, Sea Falcon, Smith etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 2:20pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi D V ,

Thanks for posting your reply.

Which of the Japanese branded jigs are made in Japan and where do you buy them please.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 4:04pm
Platinum
Platinum

Some made in Japan and a few brands in China but to decent quality control that's good for Japanese market. Have bought on trade me and some in Japan when I go over
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 4:08pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by DenimViper DenimViper wrote:

Some made in Japan and a few brands in China but to decent quality control that's good for Japanese market. Have bought on trade me and some in Japan when I go over

Are the prices ridiculously expensive like Japanese Stickbaits?

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 4:23pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

The one Dmitriy mentioned  is $119AUOuch ridiculous

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 4:43pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My 2c? I'm very hard pressed to spend more than $20 on a jig, for two reasons....
First, there's a lot of Barracoutta around here. Even if you're fishing a $20 jig, by the time you add a quality assist hook and a ringed grommet you're still losing maybe $30 a go, and I've lost half a dozen jigs on a bad day.
Second, you can get some perfectly good jigs, especially in that weight range, for under $20, especially on sale.

The Catch range are often in that price range (Double Trouble, Long John Slider, Joker) and are all good jigs. Also Shimano Pebblestick. I've done quite well this summer on Black Magic Deepwater Slim jigs, especially in red/gold, 200 and 300g - my local does these at $39 for 2. Note that some of the cheaper jigs do tend to come with kinda average assist hooks (the Catch ones are surprisingly good for the $) so you may want to factor in swapping out the assists for BKKs or Jig Stars or whatever your jig hook of choice is. Even the relatively fancy jigs like JM and Zest occasionally pop up at this price point, it's just a matter of buying 2 or 3 jigs whenever they're cheap and soon you'll have a good range.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 4:50pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agree with Rozboon. I don't know if more expensive jigs are better, but my gut feeling is that is doesn't make much difference. Also look at the Burnsco/Edge range and the Kilwell Broke Arrow for cheaper options. The latter are often on sale.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 5:28pm
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

The one Dmitriy mentioned  is $119AUOuch ridiculous

I think that was ‘Spear-Time’
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 8:04pm
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks fellas sounds like under $20 Is a bit of me. Appreciate the recommendations will give them a try! Catch and Broken arrows will top the list!
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 11:27pm
Platinum
Platinum

It's a shame Williamson Benthos got discontinued :( . Kev I'd never buy $120 jig.. stickbait yes but not jig.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 9:10am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

It's a shame Williamson Benthos got discontinued :( . Kev I'd never buy $120 jig.. stickbait yes but not jig.

haha, it is crazy what some will pay for a stickbait. $200 seems quite common, more money than brains. lol
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 10:00am
Platinum
Platinum

Meh. I like topwater and Jap lures so consider me brainless
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 11:10am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Meh. I like topwater and Jap lures so consider me brainless

you just rich mateLOLLOLLOL
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 9:12am
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i dont think you can really go wrong with what jigs you get. but in saying that i have had good results on the jm rockets. when 2nd hand bulk lots come up for sale grab them might have to fork out a hundred or two but will then set you up for a long time and also gives you a chance to use some brands/styles you might not normally use
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote stew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 10:57am
stew View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Definately don't need to spend big bucks and all the above that have been listed will catch fish.
Please remember to tie your own assists as the jigs off the shelf with assists pre-made are not up to the job IMO

My top picks in the lower $$ range are Kilwell Broken arrow, JM rockets, BM deepwater slim, jigstar depth charge.
Living in a Red Cod free zone
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 8:36am
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I agree with the jigs mentioned on here, my fav are the JM rockets and Zest cuttlefish. But there is a site called ok.fish i have seen some on there really cheaply priced. I haven't used them but most jigs work and if you can get more bang for your buck why not....
TAS - Its a real disease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 7:13am
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers fellas gonna buy me a selection of the recommendations and hopefully post some pics with them hanging out of kingies mouths.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 2:31pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

the more expensive jigs you will find are ORIGINAL designs, not cheap copies.  This may or may not bother you.  
They tend to have better quality foils, paint and lead alloys that don't bend.  
They also have more protective clear coats and better quality assist hooks factored into the price.

it will always be a case of "buyer beware" so pay your money and take your chances.

give it death!