Surfcasting with braid

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surfcasting with braid
    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 5:41pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

With us being allowed to surfcast in L3 I dragged my old 14 foot surfcasting rod and I looking to use my 8500 spin reel I use for jigging on it.

Reel is loaded with 40kg multi coloured braid don’t want to have to reload the reel so I was wondering if anyone has surfcasted with heavy braid?

Thanks Kerry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 5:46pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, a few times. Haven't made up my mind. Obviously better bite detection and casting distance. Downside is less abrasion resistance and grip lead setups are more like to move due to less elasticity, but even the latter has to be balanced against the lower diameter of braid meaning less water resistance. To get the best of both worlds, I'd use a heavy, long mono leader.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 5:54pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Yes, a few times. Haven't made up my mind. Obviously better bite detection and casting distance. Downside is less abrasion resistance and grip lead setups are more like to move due to less elasticity, but even the latter has to be balanced against the lower diameter of braid meaning less water resistance. To get the best of both worlds, I'd use a heavy, long mono leader.

Yep I was going to take the 50kg leader off and top shot on about 10 metres of 20kg, then sinker and swivel.

Was thinking this might save my casting finger from getting dealt to by the braid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 6:03pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Dunno, I am a terrible surfcaster but my thoughts: a decent shock leader. abrasion resistance not a biggie off the beach.

It's a chance to go fishing. It's the best time to fish in close. go for it! Whatever gear you have but heavy braid isn't going to be a bad choice
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 6:15pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Smudge, just got to make do with what you got to get out of the house.

I can see dozens lined up along Manly beach.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 6:50pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Thanks Smudge, just got to make do with what you got to get out of the house.

I can see dozens lined up along Manly beach.

Yepp. But in reality I think as is usual there will be more people talking about going fishing than those actually doing it. Early mornings, late evenings & local knowledge i'm guessing will see the beaches relatively empty. At midday however the beaches are likely to be crawling with people bemoaning the fact that the trawlers have cleaned the fish out.

You will recognise those people because they will leave all their rubbish behind
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 6:59pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was planning very early morning 2 hours before low tide so there’s a bit of room on the beach for all the other beach users
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 7:30pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

should be perfect for those big manly stingrays you'll catch Kerry!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 7:51pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by rockz rockz wrote:

should be perfect for those big manly stingrays you'll catch Kerry!

Yeeha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 8:20pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stingrays can be fun! About all I catch from the beach before you pay too much attention to my words. If you're getting a lot of them, I would recommend a single, de-barbed circle hook or a hook that will rust quickly (anything by Black Magic should do!) and cut them off close to the hook.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lbgaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 8:53pm
lbgaz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

40kg is overkill for surfcasting but it will be fine. 20kg mono shock leader should be sweet like u say, or 24kg if you use 5-6oz lead. If you aren't a regular caster distance isn't an issue so don't forget about the good old lemon fish/rig at night or dirty water. Just don't go up the beach for a stroll with a tight drag on 40kg or you'll turn around to see your rod going for a swim ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 3:34pm
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A bit of insulation tape on your casting finger of even better a surf casting finger glove is important. make sure your drag is done up tight as possible on the cast. Only time I've had an issue was when I forgot to tighten the drag. Cut straight through the casting glove and almost to the bone. Then remember to loosen your drag after the cast. Seen a few rods disappear into the surf when mates forgot to loosen the drag back off. You don't even need a shock leader, especially with braid that heavy. My leader is so short the join knot sits outside the rod tip. I only use one because I don't trust braid knotted straight to a swivel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 4:52pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by taurangatroutmaster taurangatroutmaster wrote:

A bit of insulation tape on your casting finger of even better a surf casting finger glove is important. make sure your drag is done up tight as possible on the cast. Only time I've had an issue was when I forgot to tighten the drag. Cut straight through the casting glove and almost to the bone. Then remember to loosen your drag after the cast. Seen a few rods disappear into the surf when mates forgot to loosen the drag back off. You don't even need a shock leader, especially with braid that heavy. My leader is so short the join knot sits outside the rod tip. I only use one because I don't trust braid knotted straight to a swivel.

great advice there TTM, thanks. I mentioned shock leader because of the cut factor. That's a pretty graphic explanation and a good solution. I didn't even consider tightening the drag up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lbgaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 5:01pm
lbgaz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Using a mono/fluro leader isn't only for the cast it gives a bit more invisibility at the business end. I used to tie traces direct to braid and found I have much more action with a shock leader. Also adds a bit of stretch in the swell to keep things in place.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Craigo 90 mile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 1:26pm
Craigo 90 mile View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Braid is best for distance. And use a tapered shock leader. Hunting and fishing sell casting clips. Tape on above your bail arm. Never use your finger again. 7 solid days on the beach. No gloves needed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Craigo 90 mile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 1:29pm
Craigo 90 mile View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

My mate makes 2 prong sand rod holders. They never fall over. Even in 1 metre of water. Best design ever conceived