Micro jigging rod

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Vanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Micro jigging rod
    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 4:44pm
Vanman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I normally soft bait from my kayak (in water up to 30m drop here around Nelson) but have recently been given a small inchiku lure and a set of Kaveman's 40 and 60g Tai Kabura lures.

I know I can use my SB setup (a Backbone elite with a 2500 reel on it) for the lures, but am keen to get a dedicated rod and reel. I've got a new Sedona 2500 sitting around and was wondering what rod to put it to.

I've been switching between a Shimano Backbone, and the Ocean Angler micro jigging rods, so was after any thoughts or opinions from anyone who has used them, or has any other rods to suggest.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 10:51am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'd give some consideration to the Okuma Tournament Concept micro jig rod, 2-4kg, super soft tip... complete noodle but would be heaps of fun with a 2500 spin reel on it.

Also have a look at the Shimano Salty Advance, or if you can find one, an Engetsu BB S610M.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 12:34pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I fish only with micros anymore and have for some time.

Recently broke a couple of rods including a nice rod from Kaveman that was a bit long for me but I liked a lot working gear and on a fish.

For me the softer dedicated rods just suck for micros. I prefer by far a relatively quick action softbait rod so I can use little wrist actions during my lift to get good jig movement and feel very quickly any inquiries or pick ups of my gear by mr fish. For instance I have used a few backbone softbait rods and for me they feel just slightly too soft and disconnected from the jig in terms of feel.

I won't fish to light because It takes to long to deal if I get a king or even a few big Kawai which I often enough do.

I would be keen to use the CD extra sense rod and see how that works. Maybe someone here can tell me how they feel?

As for your choices just keep trying gear until you fall in love I reckon. Tons of guys fish rods I don't prefer and are better fisherman than myself I am sure..Perhaps fish a fast action rod against a slow soft action one to at least figure out which direction you should go in those terms for your style?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Vanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 6:20pm
Vanman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah, it's tricky. I've got a few things I'm looking for in a rod (I think).

6' 6" max length so it's manageable in the kayak.
Max lure weight of 100g or so.
$200 - 250 max.

Beyond that I don't really know what I need or will like.

I've looked at Kaveman's rods, and K-Labs too. Just about to check out the Salty Stage stuff.

When you are working on a budget it's hard to get your head around the idea of trying lots of rods till you find one that suits you.

I guess a first step is getting a feel of some once level 4 lifts......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 8:15am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Garry 23041 Garry 23041 wrote:

For me the softer dedicated rods just suck for micros. I prefer by far a relatively quick action softbait rod so I can use little wrist actions during my lift to get good jig movement and feel very quickly any inquiries or pick ups of my gear by mr fish.

Totally agree!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 8:31am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Vanman Vanman wrote:

I normally soft bait from my kayak (in water up to 30m drop here around Nelson) but have recently been given a small inchiku lure and a set of Kaveman's 40 and 60g Tai Kabura lures.

I know I can use my SB setup (a Backbone elite with a 2500 reel on it) for the lures, but am keen to get a dedicated rod and reel. I've got a new Sedona 2500 sitting around and was wondering what rod to put it to.

I've been switching between a Shimano Backbone, and the Ocean Angler micro jigging rods, so was after any thoughts or opinions from anyone who has used them, or has any other rods to suggest.

Cheers

I'm not sure which rods exactly you have, but would go with what Garry says about fishing micro jigs. Having said that, I would not class 40 and 60g jigs as micros. It's also worth making the point that to my mind, there are two main styles of jigging, 1) casting micros ahead and working back to the boat just like a softie and 2) fishing vertically. 

Fishing vertically requires jigs over 40g. For snapper, these would typically go up to 130g. You obviously need a rod that can handle these weights, but you are not casting them, just dropping them over the side of the boat. Beyond that, no action needs to be imparted on inchiku or kabura, so rod action doesn't matter very much as far as the retrieve goes. I do find that the super soft tip rods result in more fish hooked as stiffer tips seem to "bump" fish off.

In practice, I have two rods for vertical jigging. A light one with a soft fibreglass tip, and heavier rod with a more traditional action. I tend to reserve the latter for jigs 100g or over, or where I think there is a good chance of kingfish. I  like bait caster reels, but that is personal preference.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 10:42am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

$200 - 250 max.

I've looked at Kaveman's rods, and K-Labs too. Just about to check out the Salty Stage stuff.

When you are working on a budget it's hard to get your head around the idea of trying lots of rods till you find one that suits you.

I would not reccomend my micro jigrods for kayak use, they are too long. Too easy to high stick a long rod in a boat let alone fishing in a kayak.
Okuma have a new model out that would be perfect for kayak fishing. Built with unilateral resins so can be twisted in 2 directions and still not break
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Vanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 4:26pm
Vanman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

$200 - 250 max.

I would not reccomend my micro jigrods for kayak use, they are too long. Too easy to high stick a long rod in a boat let alone fishing in a kayak.
Okuma have a new model out that would be perfect for kayak fishing. Built with unilateral resins so can be twisted in 2 directions and still not break

Any idea of a name or model number for that Okuma Kevin?

Once I get a rod sorted I'll be onto you to get some micro jigs to go with the Kaburas I got off you. 👍🏽
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 7:40am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I will ask my mate, he developed the rod for Okuma and send you a message.

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 11:26am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rod will be the Tournament Concept series, there's videos on Okuma NZ's Facebook of them being bent back and forth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dach39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 8:14pm
Dach39 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have been using a backbone elite micro jig rod for all my jigging. 40g is the most I have used on it though. I have also used it al the way down to 5g jigs and it has worked great.

I love the action and it seems to be a little stiffer than some of the other available options. They are usually pretty cheap on marine deals to.

I haven’t seen many other people using it though. Not sure why.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 7:32am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

Rod will be the Tournament Concept series, there's videos on Okuma NZ's Facebook of them being bent back and forth.

Yes, that is the rod
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 8:18am
Platinum
Platinum

I tried that okuma and did not like it for several reasons. Problem solved though because I broke the grip on a rat kingi pretty well strait away!
Could work well on the yak if you can live with it's limitations..That tip is one flexible mother!
I traded it on the Nano matrix plus which is an infinitely better rod but back to something that can be high sticked and broken.
My mate and his son really rate the inexpensive Diawa rods (white) but for me the grips were wrong or something like that, I can't remember. Good range to choose from as I recall.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 8:32am
Platinum
Platinum

Mighty boosh.
I love my jiffy clips because If I am drifting along and I get a patch straight under the boat coming up I can flick a 40grm on and drop straight down off the stern if it's not very deep and often pick up a snap before the group is gone.
Once I know they are snaps of decent size I can go back to a 20 or 30 and drive back up and target the group.
I am to lazy to use a second rod set up for the vertical drops like you mention but sounds like a plan...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 9:21am
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have an Abu Salty Stage KRX light jigging rod which is a super fun ..

6ft 3 / PE 1 - 1.5 / max jig 150g  ( which I think would be waay too heavy ) I fish it with 20 - 60g jigs in depths to 40 m

The top 1/3 folds away under load with plenty of backbone down lower. Pairs great with a 2500 reel.

The key thing with softer tipped rods I reckon is fishing them with small ( very sharp ) hooks. They aren't designed to set heavier hooks.

It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 12:11pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The lighter abu veratas rods are worth a look
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 12:47pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Penn Regiment black ops 631ml is my go to micro jig rod.

And I kayak fish love it.