Tackle Storage Ideas

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote murfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tackle Storage Ideas
    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 4:41pm
murfy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Guys

Interested to see how you are all storing your gear, at home and also on the boat. Mine is currently a huge mess even after thinking i had sorted it all out.
Got plenty of time on our hands at the moment so some ideas would be great
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 5:07pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Rods on racks.

Tackle split in to: 

- Stuff I use all the time and is ready to go
- Stuff I don't use very often, but still ready to go
- Stuff that I can't see myself using unless I go away somewhere 
- Spares 

Everything sorted in to Plano-type boxes or food containers stacked up on shelves in the garage. 

Anything rusted, or likely to lose me a fish goes in the bin. Anything I can't ever see myself using goes to the op shop or take it to work where there is always someone grateful for it. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PRAWN*STAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 12:00am
PRAWN*STAR View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

All the gear in hibernation and all the tackle lol

But seriously going through a lot and putting it on trademe, and a lot that I will put to a good cause if any one is up to starting something?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 9:42am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a couple draws under the bait board, that come out. These I load with a few SBs traces, lures that will be used for the day.
 A couple plastic lidded  boxes  about 250mm L  X 75 W X120 D with coupleold nylon spools with endless  dropper rigs  wound on , the 1st 2 with hooks most likely to use for the day. A set electironic scales in a zip lock.. sealed smaller bags with a selection of pre tied flasher hooks ready to go, a coule reels of 3 weigyts fluro if need to re tie a SB rig or whatever.

Reef sinker from 8oz down to 1oz  each the number of ppl going out to a min 3 each , in the back channel of the bait board..
A box of sundry lures ..

Basicaly just the stuff needed for the day..and still cover the unexpected.
 Not  the bloody kitchen sink.

A big annoyance is a crew comes along with a huge fancy bag of gear  that weighs more the ant bait burly chilly bin and the 95L fish bin full of freezer blocks... not just the weight but volume..plus their day bag of food drink etc.

Often wonder if it is a big " hey look at my fancy expensive bag and all the gear I have" bragg..

Then when come to practical.. to change a hook or trace or get out a lure .. its this big bag comes out of the cabin, stuff gets spread around the floor, then they find what they want,  put on the rod, pack everything up and the event that initiated it all has gone .. In the mean time the rest of us have been bring fish in, trying to work around this space..

The time a hook is not in the water is time not catching fish.

An example .. a school tuns pops up, to troll /cast into it, I just grab a lure, out of the draw , or sb ready with hook, unclip the current trace, throw into draw, put lure on cast... they are still trying to lug their bag out of the cabin..
 I say forget that  grab a lure , say put that on now..
 Stuff in the bag doesnt get used.

Sorry bit of a vent.. a pet hate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 1:04pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by murfy murfy wrote:

Hey Guys

Interested to see how you are all storing your gear, at home and also on the boat. Mine is currently a huge mess even after thinking i had sorted it all out.
Got plenty of time on our hands at the moment so some ideas would be great

I have always had smaller boats so less is defo best - Basically everything must fit in the fish bin tackle wise. 

I found the biggest culprits are the snapper flasher rigs, the end up a f*(ken mess unless they are brand new in the packet. Best solution I found to those are:

Wicked little container - I use the colours for the sizes, to make it easier to wrap them on I got a wooden Kebab stick and stab it in at a backards angle, then cut it so its sticking out only 5mm or so. Then wrap the rig on from there. No sinkers attached of course - but thats easy enough.

Ill be going through my stuff this arvo......so I dont have to look outside :-(

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote foulplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 2:37pm
foulplay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Use big sistema container for bulk storage of terminal tackle. Keep at home normally. Sometimes finds its way onto boat. But only ever opened when needing to replenish main tackle box.

Tried the big orange box with smaller flat tackle boxes e.g 1 for bait fishing and 1 for lure. Pain the arse actually. And these orange boxes aren't waterproof so that is for miscellanous stuff like pliers, knives, sharperners, screwdrivers etc.

After a lot of experimenting I actually find the simple 3 tray plano box to be the best solution. It keeps me streamlined on what i need and is all in one box. I honestly don't use everything in there but I am covered for anything e.g. rapala lures, hard lures, sabikis, hooks, rubber bands, ballons etc. Only 40 buks and work well in my small boat. More important will take spray and splash. I do stocktake once every 6 trips using bulk supply to replenish.

My homemade rod storage. 15mm ply. Pretty good actually
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 9:02am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep very much along your lines their F/play
I have a few tackle boxes  either mt in the cnr, given away or store the flasher/ feather trace materials.
 My rods are stored above the filleting bench.
 Note: same filleting bench.. moved it when moved the house, and rods still stored the same above it.

I also have rubber holders on the edge of one of my work benches.. where rods sit once ready for a trip , and sit to dry after washing ready to be 'oiled' and then racked

Draws under the bait board

Pic of  fish frames semi thaw before making into burly.. few more rods now to

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote foulplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 11:50am
foulplay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good filleting/berley setup there steps. Do you bulk up your berley with anything e.g
Bran?. Thinking bout mincing up my own
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 5:06pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There are a few old threads where I explain how what I do.. and the little tricks to make things easy from filling containers to clean down lubing etc.
 That lot did about 40 2L milk bottles.. 2 1/2 hrs from coffee table to all cleaned down packed away, shower and coffee table.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Perchase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 4:49pm
Perchase View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Foul play, I'm liking the rods on the ceiling idea, we've run out of wall space long ago, I saw a local guy on YouTube and he just used those large covered hooks, keeps them out of direct sunlight and our toddlers inquisitive meddling hands, so simple
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 5:18pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Son had a smaller  wood cable drum laying around .. suppose about 1m in diameter.  Cut 'grooves like in the roof one above in the top side, holes in the bottom  and a box shelf that sits in the middle ...
he  made it last week.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 6:42pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Brought these from marine deals, screwed up to the ceiling works great.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coochdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 7:30pm
Coochdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Epic set up Prawn star!

One day.. in the mean time my elcheapo kitset wardrobe works well in keeping all the shed nasties off my gear.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 12:35pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had my old rodholders from boat lying around and as rack was getting low on space decided to utilise them and came up with this
Can be wall mounted against ceiling if required
Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 10:54pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On the boat storage for a centre console.....

110 Litre Waeco esky on a aluminium plinth, doubles as a seat and tackle storage tray for easy access to rigging while in the cockpit... The stainless tray in the esky is for rigged baits and beers...

Rigged casting and small trolling lures in a couple of trays undder the bait board

"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote foulplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 6:29am
foulplay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Shivers i like that Titahi. Good system. Nothing worse than scratching around like an old chook trying to find this, that and the other when the bites on.