Burglar Olive Bully

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burglar Olive Bully
    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 8:04pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Of all the flies I have used wet-lining in the Tongariro and Lake O this Burglar style fly has been my most productive.     It looks the same from any angle and its marabou tail and fine rabbit hair body pulsate with every twitch.   I have marked the bully pattern on with a brown felt pen to break up the olive outline.     This pattern with  its big silhouette is also a good night fly if tied in black (for brown trout) or with a lumo bead at the head for rainbows.
The burglar fly is easy to tie.    
1.   Tie in marabou tail and wind thread halfway up the shank.
2.   Cut small bundle of rabbit hair off a long hair (Hends Brand)  Zonker strip.  
3.   Tie in with tips forward making sure fur is evenly spread around shank.    Fold tips back,  tie down and wind thread right up to the eye.  
4.   Repeat the above with an other bundle of fur at the head, tie in some flash strands (optional) then whip finish and secure the head.
5. Brush with a small wire brush or Velcro strip to groom hair.
6. Paint pattern with felt pen or leave as is.

Cheers

Rainbow