UV or not UV, that is the question

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UV or not UV, that is the question
    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 11:47am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some people swear by UV, others not convinced. Does it have magical properties in the eyes of fish? May be depth dependent, and light dependent?

So, as mentioned in the current top 3 softbaits thread, while bored last winter I did a bit of research of my softbait collection's UV reactivity. 
In complete darkness in the garage, I shone a UV (blue light) torch over the tubs and packets.

Interestingly, Gulp New Penny had absolutely no reaction to the torch, but I've caught some of my best snapper using that colour over sand. Note, Z Man New Penny does have some UV (see below). Most of the baitfish or natural colours had no reaction. Perhaps, in the manufacturing stage, it's hard to inject UV qualities in lighter greys, silvers etc?

Then there's the 'lumo' qualities that some baits have. Also mentioned below. May be more of a factor in deeper water or low light conditions.

For what it's worth, my findings were (and i don't have every colour by any means, this is just observations of the ones I have):

Highest UV reaction:

Z Man
Nuked Chicken
Electric Chicken
Motor Oil
Atomic Sunrise/Coral Trout
Fusilier (chartreuse part only)
Sexy Mullet/Sexy Penny (chartreuse part only)
Baby Bass
Space Guppy
Laguna Shrimp
Coconut Ice

Gulp
Nuclear Chicken
Lime Tiger
Satay Chicken
Blue Fuse 
Pink Shine
Orange Tiger

Moderate UV reaction (sort of a dull glow)

New Penny 
Shiner
Houdini
Bruised Banana (belly only)
Redbone (belly only)
Nuked Pilchard

Because they have lumo content (hence the 'glow' in their name) the Nuked Pilchard, Coconut Ice, Redbone all glowed in the dark after being charged by the torch.
Also, because I had some Motor Oil shads mixed with some non-UV treated lures such as Smoky Shad, I noticed the Motor Oil had leached a bit of tint and UV properties into the other lures. That doesn't seem to happen with other colours - eg. Atomic Sunrise doesn't leach. Motor Oil has some serious juju.

A number of people have listed Chartreuse colours in their top three, and they would almost certainly be strongly UV, but also fluorescent (highly visible in dirty water or poor light conditions). No coincidence it's a classic lure colour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 11:54am
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Aint no use if it aint Chartreuse...
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 4:41pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This was covered a few yrs ago.
 Lumo they glow after the UV light has been removed for quite a while.
 Fluro just glow when the light on them

I looked thru the list of ppls favorites before this was brought up in the thread and unsurprisingly the lumos where also favorites and I dont think most realised what they had.

From that I sourced some very long lasting lumo paint and a syring.
Painted squid lures, SB heads, stray line hooks and flasher on them, even sinkers.
 I also used the syringe to inject into SBs .. one gets a neat effect , a combo of dots and fine lines.

And while at it I painted the hitch and tow ball, the locks on the front and back doors, a strip on the top step of the deck, the edge of the fence where one backs close to.
 It lasts for yrs.

Did it help  well yes I think so, and thats over several yrs
 Could find the lock , didnt trip on the step and know one hit the cnr of the fence or shed again , and backing up to the boat at night was easy..
 Fishing..  SBs yes sure it helped , espec at night, dusk dawn..and deeper water. On flashers on stray lines again dusk dawn.. on SB heads and sinkers , not really.. maybe because the SB s where already injected

The fluro paints...gave those away very early on..