Garmin G3 maps not as detailed as G2.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garmin G3 maps not as detailed as G2.
    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:50am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Is anyone else experiencing that the new Garmin G3 charts are not as detailed as the G2 charts?

Def the case for me. I have a 2014 VPC023R G2 chart and recently upgraded to a Garmin Echomap UHD unit that came with the latest software and built-in G3 chart for Aus/NZ. So disappointed to discover the details was less.

What was worse is the new unit no longer accepts older chart like my more detailed G2 chart. Garmin support has been very average at resolving this and a Google search shows they actually haven't solved it.

So be warned. Time to think about switching to Lowrance or Simard.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 10:01am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do a bit of digging between garmin , navionics, lowrance, simrad on their maps.
 Over the last 15 or so yrs the companies at higher levers have been taking over buying each other , some data shared..rather confusing.
 Thu I think...somehow garmin and navionics maps .. marine, have been kept separate..????
 Why? maybe because of monopoly sorta reasons???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 11:01am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

All I know is the older G2 chart has more detail.

Wondering why they went backwards or did they even care.

Garmin customer service is pretty inept. I found more out reading forums and they all point to the fact that Garmin is not resolving the issue and some posts date back a couple of years. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 6:40pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had/ have the garmin prog mapsource on my PC with the G2 marine maps
 Still ref it occasionally.. yes impressive.
 Main use was for the open source garmin based NZ topo /Doc / updated (fortnightly)  garmin road maps and others
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PeteBarton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 11:33am
PeteBarton View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Millsy

Keen to hear how you’ve been getting on with your Garmin UHD unit. Do you like it and how do you find the sonar capabilities?

Also have there been any further updates to the G3 maps to put them back on par with detail provided with G2 ?

LTB Garmin chartplotter/fishfinder so keen to hear how you’ve been getting on with both maps and unit/transducer.

Cheers.

Barts