Think I caught stomach with knife

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Glenn120903 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Think I caught stomach with knife
    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 9:22pm
Glenn120903 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi - just went out for first time fishing this morning (and last for a while it seems). Anyway during filleting my first ever Snapper I think I caught the stomach (rookie mistake I know) as there was some brown fluid on the board - otherwise it went reasonably well.. I cleaned it and don’t think it touched the meat but should I chuck it all in the bin? Not sure of consequences... but can imagine not good?

Just watched video on here ‘how to fillet for beginners’ wish I’d seen that before I started!! 😬😀

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 9:41pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't worry about it too much, but I'd get that fish eaten or frozen ASAP. And congratulations on your first snapper Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 9:49pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Glenn, first off congrats on getting a keeper first time out. Sounds like you should be fine with the fillets, as long as you dont intend keeping them for any length of time they (and you) will survive a bit of fresh contamination. Enjoy your fish and hang in there till you can get out again😉
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Glenn120903 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 10:18pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks both - two snapper actually well pleased- I got them frozen straight after filleting anyway. But that one issue was bugging me - thanks again.

Will come in handy during the big lock down
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 10:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Give them a wash and they will be fine. Good filleting is a skill that takes time to develop.  Here are a few hints. Use a very sharp knife. Keep the fish ion ice until the flesh sets. I'll see if I can find an old video I once made and post that up.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 10:43pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 9:41am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Even experienced ppl catch the gut once in a while..
Also you may find a gut hooked fish will contaminate your board as well.

Those who fillet 'commercial' style, quick straight cut behind skull, one slice down, get away with it.. and waste a lot of meat. In the commercial industry  most of this is recovered for reconstituted products.
Fillting rec style with respect, to recover as much as possible, clipping the gut is very easy to do..

Rule of thumb to know if you are recovering as much as possible, the fillets will weight at least over 1/3 of the total weight of the wet fish

We do the later, hence why we have gutted at sea for several yrs now. Little bit more work on the boat, far less work cleaning down bins , filleting benches boards, and fish dont lay in crap in the bin.
Also results in a significant difference in the meat..as it chills lot faster in the bin, and cleaner.

Always rinse salt water fish/ fillets with sea water. We bring home around 5L with us.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Glenn120903 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 9:57am
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Smudge - it was your video i mentioned in my first post Wink. I only saw that vid after i did the filleting but will be helpful for the next ones.
Great beginners guide!Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Glenn120903 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 10:03am
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks all for your help... look forward to putting it into practice next time out.

I didnt wash the fish after filleting as there seems to be some differences on opinion on how and if to do that - but based on above i think i will give them a wash when defrosted before i cook them...

Thanks again!