What fuse

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AdAstra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What fuse
    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 5:38pm
AdAstra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

To anyone with an understanding of the wiring for the Blue Seas M-ACR system.
What size wire and fuse would you recommend for wires running between batteries and ACR.
On their instructions they start with #10 AWG and 30A charging circuit with 40A-50A fuses (cannot understand why such heavy weight fuses).
However, my own alternator only puts out 20A.
Any pointers would be much appreciated

Cheers

David
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 11:16am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's probably to deal with surge current if you get a charge imbalance. Say you're sitting there with motor off and running from house battery for a few hours, drain the house battery to, say, 11.5v; when you start the motor and the charging relay opens there will be a significant flow of current from the start battery to the house battery as the system tries to hit a happy equilibrium of voltage. Fuses are funny things in terms of the rating; their momentary rating is usually way, way over what's stamped on the side, likewise cable.

10AWG is likely fine for 20-30A sustained, especially if it's a very short run of cable. I'd consider going up to maybe 8AWG if it's a bit longer.
The fuse is mostly there to prevent a fire if you short a cable out. If you get a dead short the battery will happily dump about 500A into that cable and pop a 50A fuse before you can say "oops".
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AdAstra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 11:27am
AdAstra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Rozboon. Just the info I was after.
To clarify things, I'll leave the #10 wire (No run is more than .5meter) but pop in a 40A fuse (can't go higher with having to change fuse holder)?
This is more in line with what Blue Seas is indicating without actually saying it! .
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 5:49pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah I am too lazy to look up the current ratings for #8awg & #10awg but as a sparky (an old ex sparky) I think Rozboon is on the money. Fuses are really there to stop fires. Technically it should protect the alternator too so you could try a 20amp fuse  but keep some spares - along with some a little bigger. Wire fuses have a pretty coarse rating so I'd try a 25 or 30 before the 50 personally
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AdAstra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 10:42pm
AdAstra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Sumdge. 20 it is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ad Astra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:42am
Ad Astra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

On same subject, what size wire should run from house battery to battery switch.
For some reason I have started to worry that my one is not correct.
I am using 10AWG marine wire.
I need to know what happens in the event of start battery going flat and I move the battery switch to combine. Does then the house become the start battery sending 300+ amps up the 10guage wire with an obvious outcome or, does the system bleed off voltage from house to start battery?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 12:05pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Start/house batteries should independant of each other,should be able to switch off start battery ,is there a fitted isolator,vsr thing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ad Astra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 5:46am
Ad Astra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes a Blue Seas ACR