Penn Seaboy 85

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Penn Seaboy 85
    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 3:25pm
PJB View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A mate gave me an old Penn Seaboy 85 reel. It is in great condition though it has one problem.

The clicker disengages when the line is pulled out just a few centre meters.  I don't think that it should do that. The gear ratchet etc looks to be in good condition. Any suggestions as to a repair solution would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 3:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I haven't had one apart in 15 years but from memory the clicker is on the side opposite the handle. It is the easier side to take off. The clicker is a circular ring with a gap in it that a little coarse gear meshes with. The cicular ring is held in by a screw which may be loose. If everything looks good, put a little grease on it.
I may be way off in my recollection of Seaboys but they are very simple and durable reels
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 9:27pm
PJB View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers Smudge. Yeah you have the description right. I have had the reel apart and had lubed most parts. The spring type circlip looks to be in good condition.  ill do that again and see if it make a difference. You are right though: the Penn Seaboy is a very simple reel.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 1:19pm
PJB View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Smudge.

I took the reel apart again and checked all those things such as tightness and lube on the spring. The clicker still goes off as soon as I begin to pull line out as a strike would do. I don't suppose it matters that much if one holds the rod all the time but it would be helpful to have the thing in working order as it is a great little reel.