Talica 12 Marlin?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gutlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Talica 12 Marlin?
    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 7:23pm
Gutlocker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi team.

Have seen shimanos website mention the talica 12 takes 700yards of 50lb.

We have taken a 95kg stripey on our wee 4.9m Marco with a fin nor marquesa 50T with 50 lb and doubt runs took more than 200m as we followed the fish around.

Hoping to score another stripey with a talica 12. Went and checked one out and it seems very small and light and could not see how you could get that 700 yards on it?

Anyone got any experience? And anyone got a stripey on a talica 12/16?

Also, any line recommendations? Wondering how much 50lb (78lb break) tasline I would get on the 12

Cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 12:31pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pretty certain they don't hold that much. We've got a TAC12II with 50lb PowerPro (admittedly pretty thick for "50lb") and I think it's got a little over 500m on it. Spooling it with Tasline or the new Ocea braid and I think you would easily get enough on there to stop a Stripey, though.

As for Marlin.... on the one hand, on paper, sure, it has the chops for it. Plenty of gamefish been taken on the old TLD25's over the years and the Talica is, no doubt, a more capable reel.

On the other hand, the drag, while it's capable of lots of pressure in the short term, may struggle with the heat dissipation of a Marlin going on a long run. If you're fishing somewhere where you might hook a Blue I'd probably go to a 25 at the least.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 2:18pm
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I loaned a mate my Talia 12 2 speed last year to fish a tournament in Costa Rica & he scored an approx.100kg blue marlin on it.The reel was filled with 50lb Daiwa J braid & had a 50m topshot of 15kg Varivas mono.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote old timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 3:35pm
old timer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Think I got 550 50lb braid on mine. Pottery full tho
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JBoffshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 12:16pm
JBoffshore View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We fish Talica 20's and 25's as our primary pitch reels for Blue Marlin here in Costa Rica. They have PE 4 Jerry Brown with a 60m topshot of 40# Berkley Pro Spec. Very rarely do we get off the top shot, but we also don't keep our boat going forward after the hook up! that being said you should have more than enough line to do the job on a 12 so long as you dont waste too much space with a giant wind-on.

Usually we are using a 100 pound wind-on attached with a bimini twist to benjamin knot connection for ease of replacement and to ensure you don't have to be as diligent laying your line evenly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 8:54am
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

ive caught and released a stripey on a talica 12, got 650 of pe4 braid on it