Where are the birds?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where are the birds?
    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 10:15am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wife and I have just returned from a road trip around the east cape , up into the Ureweras.
 We threw the tent and stuff so totally independent and stopped where we wanted.
Around the coast, where are the flocks of sea birds, gulls and black gulls?...sure had insects around the tent, a few here and there...
 And the land bird life, on the coast and inland upto to the Ureweras..

We live in a  town on the borders of southern Auckland.. a few trees staggered around at best.
 We wake up to tui, have fan tails flitting around, the regular wood pidegen waffling past, wax eyes in the trees,.. Sparrows, thrushes, black birds, swallows .. all chirping away ..and the chirping of young in nests... a couple morepork way in the distance at night

We used to live bang in the middle of Manurewa 18 months ago.
 A few trees around.. A flock of 1/2 doz tui ... occasional wood pidgen.. a morepork taken residence at night, 4 pair fan tails, thrushes and black birds...wax eyes and even a couple visits by a kaka, a flock rosella would pass thru morning and evening

Hit the remote wilds of the Nth island..
no tuis, 1 pair of wood pidgen,  only a couple couple sparrows in the camping ground, couple thrush...few ducks, only 1 pair fan tails in the bush.. no morepork
And the silence was so silent it was disturbing.

Last time I was up in the Ureweras back in the early 70s , one had trouble hearing it was so noisy with birds at times.
 Weka would come into the campsite...fan tails everywhere, tui, wood pidgen, bell birds , the odd kakariki with its machine gun call.. insects , good and bad everywhere...

And We hear about recovery of bird population...
Where these ppl who tell us about "recovery" actually born in the 70s , let alone walked or hunted our bush back then?
 Recovery from what? 
 And it was alive populated even back in the 1920s thru to the 60s, into the 70s going on conservations to my parents, uncles, grand parents , and others, people who have long passed away...

What in the (sry here moderators) F**** has happened ?

Damn even the cycaders where few and far between.. as I type in my office back home they are far noisier

It was a great trip, even catching dinner on my boat sb rod off the beach...
 but the silence of the bush everywhere was devastating
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 11:20pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Very strange.wonder when the last 1080 drop was.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 8:56am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cool story, I also heard it somewhere

Really ? would be interested in where..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 7:30pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 8:16pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Interesting article farmer browneđź‘Ť
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 8:27pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by White snake White snake wrote:

Interesting article farmer browneđź‘Ť

Yes it was. Budget $35m, will employ 40 people for 5 years. Average spend $175,000 per person per year. Nice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 9:20am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That story came out 2 months after our road trip/ post.

We could not believe how dead it was..
We had better bird wild life, native bird wild life in the middle of urban manurewa..and no long way from Nathan and Totatra Parks Park Permanent flock of tui all yr round, several fantail families,wax eyes A morepork had recently taken up residence, the odd visit by a kaka and wood pigeon
then the black birds, thrushes, rosella, sparrows.

And not much different where we are now further sth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 12:47pm
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I would not be suprised to see lots of taxpayer $ spent in both the Raukumaras and the Kaimai Mamaku Forest Park in the next few years.

Might be a few crinkly mouthed deer hunters around as a result.