New run in

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mako-NZ- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New run in
    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 8:09pm
mako-NZ- View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi I am a little confused hope someone can help that out.

Anyway I will have a new 540 surtees with a 115 xs pro merc, engine suppler has offered to take me on the prob selection runs.But its a new motor and will need correct run in procedure especially for the first hr.

Hows this gunna work on prop selection runs?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mako-NZ- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 8:11pm
mako-NZ- View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

prop not prob ^^Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 8:42pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One would think this dealer would be able to recommend appropriate prop for your requirement to begin with, unless that effects warranty, but I doubt that.

Perhaps state your load, passengers, expectation and Steps will tell you if you need a different prop, horses for courses...
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 8:44pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have the same motor - you can run it flat out for 1 minute every 10 minutes for the first couple of hours.
On my FC560 C/C I have the CT 115 ProXS and run a 14.7 x 16 enertia prop. I get 6.3k revs 3 up and full load of fuel on a flat calm sea.

Great choice of motor I am really pleased with mine - so much grunt.

Just clocked over 100 hours since August without any issues at all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 8:56pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I run the same engine and run the same Prop Joker suggests. If you have a CT version, start with that one and follow the run in procedure. They can interrogate the run data and know how it was run and when. 

If you have the 3+2 warranty as I have, then you need to do everything by the book to make sure they don't squirm out of the final 2 years.

Worst case scenario, you may go up an inch of pitch, enertia props are available in 1" pitch increments.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mako-NZ- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 10:54pm
mako-NZ- View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Command thrust was my first choice, and yes the Enertia prop. I have been considering the Enertia ECO for added range, Vessel view maybe.
The larger housing adds drag from the CT system and seems a 5.4 is on the cross over.
3+3 and will do it by the book as required

engine dealer did recommend the Enertia  and was kind enough to take me out in his own boat. He had just fitted the Enertia and was pleased.
Can the first hr of run in be stop and start or no stopping ?

Thanks for your help will set up the Enertia first.
load is two adults no dive gear we are coming from a 3.2 inflatable with a 15hp. served me well with no trailer got towed around on the bigger kings.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:40am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The break in procedure is not very restrictive - keep varying the throttle 3k - 4.5k during the first 2 hours - no more than 3/4 throttle with the occaisional burst to full no more than 1 minute every 10 minutes. After 2 hours just run normally with no major flat out periods and no game trolling.
The breakin procedure is available on-line.

The enrertia prop is a cupped blade prop that effectively gives another 1" pitch equivalent so a 16" performs like a 17" but has much better grip.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 11:00am
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

in the past ive made arrangements with the dealer to have the supplied propeller reviewed at the 10hr/initial service mark and make any changes/testing at this time if need be.

this gives you plenty of time to run the engine in, get it revving out freely, yourself time to get used to the boat s behaviour and make a proper assessment as to the suitability of the propeller. 
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 1:44pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Enertia Eco is 16" won't fit the 115, they take up to 14 5/8". the operating manual for the engine is quite specific and not a million miles from what joker suggests, but read the manual and follow it as closely as possible.  The first hour is the tricky bit about ow fast you can run and avoiding constant speed etc.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mako-NZ- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:55pm
mako-NZ- View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for that extra feed back. I did mention having a return trip once the engine has got a few hrs under its belt, dealer didn't think it would make much difference I also live 7hrs drive south of the dealer.
Oh good point the ECO will not fit. Will ask for the Enertia just need to pick the pitch from there while keeping in line with the merc bible.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nickb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 5:48pm
Nickb1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

also remember with a lot of outboards, and even cars these days, they have all ready been through a break-in period before leaving factory, they are more "run in" than they used to be when new