Why do sharks go nuts over boat engine legs?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:43pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tonto has the best reply. Good on you.

If your asking this question you have too much time on your hands.

If you don't understand shark behaviour and physiology your either not fishing enough.
Don't read, don't study or have no interest in the environment you have pleasure in.

Stick with Facebook or the Sunday papers if your looking for headlines..

Or if your interested in passing on good info research info and post links.
Rather than catching grazers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 12:59am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

I did have a bronzie ...

Was it a stainless prop? Im just wondering if the shimmering does it.

Like hanging kingi attractors off the side of a boat while spearfishing etc.

Just another thought. But I do think the electrolysis sounds logical. It could be 3 things, attraction (shiny prop), electrical annoyance, simply the lowest thing in the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 7:24pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes - stainless prop.
Not generally had them aim for the prop. The leg seems more interesting. But it is the lowest bit in the water.
Would be interested to know what happened to my mates 'wired' wetsuits. Was a TV programme on them a while back with some science studies backing them up from memory.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 3:10pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Would be interested to know what happened to my mates 'wired' wetsuits...
Sounds like the Shark Shield, which was an aussie invented device you wear around your ankle for divers and surfers. But it didnt take on, at the time, but thats going back nearly 20 years. The technology has been outsourced now, this freedom looks like a much smaller version.

I think some people were of the thought, a White Pointer which typically comes up from the bottom at about 30-35kph is not going to come to a sudden stop when it gets to the Shark Shield, of course nobody can sunstantiate that thought.

But interesting its outsourced tech now and how its utilised.

Will dig up some reviews on it.

Some thoughts on whether it attracts or deters. 

In WA which Cottesloe in Perth is notorious for surfers and kayakers being attached by White Pointers, they give a massive grant for you to buy one..... link

Sceptical, but this is kind of what bull sharks look like when hitting the back of the boat, NUTS, in this case they all go crazy and get the F out of there fast lol.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 4:23pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Might be handy to have one of those to keep sharks away from your outboard..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 4:33pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 8:27pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Mr Moritz Mr Moritz wrote:

Might be handy to have one of those to keep sharks away from your outboard..

Well they are meant to go around a Leg baha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 12:15pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Some of the replies/trolling on here are pot kettle black which is funny...
The question is quite intriguing really
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 3:55pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The thing I saw - was on a TV prog, was a whole wetsuit - had fine wire mesh in it. NZ invention. I guess if it caught on we would know about it.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  <12