Anyone fly fished Maui, Hawaii

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone fly fished Maui, Hawaii
    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 11:48am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm off on a family trip to Hawaii soon and looking for info and advice for the island of Maui. We are there for a week staying in Kapalua area.

I can't find much info except that there are some bones around a couple of beaches half an hour south of where we are staying.

I won't get much chance to fish but will pack a fly rod in case. The only guide on the island doesn't have a great rep on the net and charges more than I can afford.

If anyone has been there and fished any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 4:40pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No, but I know someone who lives there and likes to cast a fly. If you're desperate, let me know and I'll try and put you in touch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 9:34pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the offer.  If I was intending to seriously fish I would take it up but at this stage it is more likely I will only have a few hours here and there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 9:17pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If have rod throw in water :).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 2:04pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by WillP WillP wrote:

If have rod throw in water :).

Throw my rod in the water? I think I will be using my rod to cast my fly line, which will gentle present my fly to the fish in the water...LOLLOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 1:07pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Been  while since I looked here - should've seen this earlier. Yes! I've fly fished Maui. But rather than go by my advice I suggest you listen to the Wet Fly Swing Podcast, #116 with Rick Lee https://wetflyswing.com/show/

He gives a few hints.

(oh, and I found service on the island to be quite poor, yet high expectation of good tipping. Oh, and just hand over your credit card....thinking too much about the exchange rate sucks LOL)
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 5:07pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks, that podcast was fantastic and really helpful. Feeling a bit more hopeful now. We are not far from a couple of the spots he mentions. I still have all my old aitutaki flies so hopefully I get a few hours on the water.  Will let you know how I go.

How did you do when you were there?  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 5:24pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hahaah I found myself always fishing near spearos. In fact I went to a marine reserve for a wee snorkel to see if I could see any bones and was alarmed to hear a spear gun go off nearby (dude was a safe distance away, sound travels well under water)... per the podcast, conservation doesn't seem top of mind. I saw bones, made a few casts but zilched.
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 6:15pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I figured as much. I'll be happy with a few of those papio if they are around. Will report back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 10:11am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ok so here is the report.  I fished for about 1 hour one morning in front of our resort in Kahana and caught nothing. Confused

I did however spot some wild free swimming bonefish on our layover in Ohau when we quickly visited Pearl harbor.  We went to see the Missouri and while waiting in the queue for the return bus there was a tiny flat next to the ship with a bit of mangroves and in the time I stood there I saw 3 decent bonefish swim across that little flat. Was pretty cool.

Also flying back from Maui the airport flat on Ohau looked great as we landed and I saw two figures out there that looked like they were fishing.  I would enjoy a visit there if I was on a family holiday, but from what I saw Hawaii doesn't interest me as a fishing destination, besides everything felt horrendously expensive. We drove a fair bit of Maui in our rental car and I did not think any of the recommended spots looked particularly great for fly fishing, especially wading. Not appealing enough to make an effort anyway.

Maui is a stunning island though and a great family holiday spot.  The whale watch tour we did was simply spectacular, the weather stunning and the water warm and clear. Really enjoyed the trip and never really thought much about fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 6:37pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one, yip that Missouri is a cool trip, really well done.

those flats at the airport are quite special if ya like a bit of 'Urban warfare',
but them bones are educated, huge but clever! 
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly