Chaos at the ramp

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 7:14pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Im wondering what 3 days in the water without fresh water flushing would do to my yam 90 2 stroke while i camp on one of the doc islands up north ? Any advice here fellas?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 8:09pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I know heaps of motors that never get flushed, or go months/weeks without. No obvious issues. they go for years.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 9:03pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

without fresh water flushing would do to my yam 90 2 stroke while i camp on one of the doc islands up north ? Any advice here fellas?

Johnnies Evinrudes , mercs all have a place to plug a garden hose in.. think yammie do to...
 Johnies eveinrudes (older models , un do the tell tale with a spark plug socket... and use an AMERICAN gardnen hose  bsp thread adapter on a short bt of hose...to plug into a garden hose
 Do not turn on the engine.
 This is how you flush a engine sitting in salt water at the dock.

And before anyone starts up about an "American BSP thread"
 that is what they are labeled at in miter 10/ bunnings outlets Wink

If you are using consistently over holidays, re using before any combo of salt and corrosion oxide deposits form , it will be flushed next use.
 leaving long periods weeks months between uses.. then eventually the chance on one day discovering a power head rebuild is on the cards should not be surprise.

you are not doing the latter so would not loose any sleep over it.. thu could look at the hose flush if possible.
Should be a meant in the owners hand book.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 4:07am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Plenty of outboards on small launches/catamarans etc permanently moored never get a flush and have no problem,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 8:04am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Plenty of outboards on small launches/catamarans etc permanently moored never get a flush and have no problem,

I have often wondered about this...many only get intermittent use ...
It may have something to do with the engine size, smaller engine less twists turns, galleries , hoses to than larger ( say 60 hp up) engines????
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 8:09am
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

thanks for the advice. I've always been super anal about my engine. PJC I use the hose on my engine if I get in at 4am so I dont wake the world up, then flush with the engine on and muffs later. Always for at least 10 minutes so the thermostat is open. No hoses on Doc Islands tho. .. I guess I've been OTT all this time anyways so I'm not going to worry.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 8:22am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Obviously flushing is the sensible thing to do. But I know plenty of motors that get intermittent or near no flushing - and still run apparently with no issues. I flush mine every time- because I can. But for years I used to fish from a camp ground and it was forbidden to use water for such things - all summer , never flushed, no trailer wash - as were every body elses. Then I see the banana boats in the islands - mercs 30-40 HP, usually, some newer 4 S now too. Never get flushed - in the water all the time. Prob never get serviced either. Seem to keep going.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 8:14pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If I'm away at Christmas, the motor only gets flushed on the way home..
Daily use, not an issue.
I pulled that motor apart after 10 years, corrosion was not an issue.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Page  <123