When does having a camera on every trawler come in

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 1:54pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

agree no excuse. I developed a solution for the FFA tuna management in PNG and Solomon’s and there were a number solutions for the type of data recorded and locking down the system from abuse while giving solutions for the various connectivity at various locations in the Pacific. 

The solution while recording activity and location data, made strong advances in understand stocks and strategising the future protection of the industry. 

Any resistance by nz industry can only be assessed as corruption is my opinion. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 1:33pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My understanding is that Sanfords and all the other big players except TALLEYS were willing to install cameras on their boats. However Talleys said no way unless recreational fishers had to also record all their catches and provide to MPI as well, so that accurate annual estimates of recreational catches could be made, with the aim that eventually recreational fishing would be brought into the QMS and given a "TARC" for each species.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 1:45pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That Talley response is ridiculous - nonsensical.Why would one set of options rely on a second set? The bulk of the harvest is commercial. Total stonewalling. Hard to believe a significant business can think so poorly.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:35am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My understanding is that Sanfords and all the other big players except TALLEYS were willing to install cameras on their boats. However Talleys said no way unless recreational fishers had to also record all their catches and provide to MPI as well,

That confuses me.
I thought the CCTV was regulation.. law.
Refusing, regardless of reason is contempt...and cab be, should be prosecuted and refused permission to operate.. unless the regulations are altered accordingly.

If it is a industry self regulation thing.. you can do what you like.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 3:30pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think the only compulsion for cameras by a certain date is in the Maui or Hectors dolphin areas. Boats fishing outside that area still don't need them - my understanding anyway. All about responding to US pressure about endangered species - nothing to do with cleaning up their act and transparency.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 11:01pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

From Legasea F/B

In 2013 the government committed to 100% camera or observer coverage of all trawl vessels on the northeast coast, by October 2015. In June 2019 the present government promised us that 28 at-risk vessels on the west coast of the North Island would have cameras and monitoring by November. The roll-out to the remaining commercial fishing fleet would follow. Still we wait.

These industry heavyweights sent a letter to Stuart Nash, the Minister of Fisheries, in July 2018. They made it abundantly clear that cameras were not acceptable. The letter was subsequently released to Forest & Bird under the Official Information Act. “For the avoidance of doubt the undersigned NZ Seafood companies and stakeholders do not support your current proposal for compulsory cameras to be imposed on all commercial fishing vessels.” It was signed by representatives from Talley’s Group, the New Zealand Federation of Commercial Fishermen, Sealord and Te Ohu Kai Moana.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote filthyoar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 7:08am
filthyoar View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

corruption
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 9:21am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Re PJC excellent  post above..

The government/ parliament, under Westminster law , is the highest ,court' in the country.
 And Our judges and justise sytem next to it.

To ignore a court (judges ) ruling means imprisonment for contempt, until it matter is righted...
And to ignore the law, basically the same..

How the hell does the Talleys, Sealord, Te Ohu Moana  get away will blatant contempt of our legal and parliamentary system.
 In doing so this undermines our whole p alimentary and legal system , that when exploited out ends up in a unrouly and aychastt society.

Swear at a judge, or not turn up etc.. he is not a pleased person and one gets arrested.
Tell the Government.. our no balls polies to take a flying leap and they tremble the back down even thu their 'gang' of mpi , police, justice dept  etc is far bigger ...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 11:17am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wonder how much each of those companies (or through associates etc) donates to each of the major parties, i bet there is a fair amount.

Interestingly Sanfords were not part of the signatories to the letter.
Page  <12