Wellington dive trip

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote heyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wellington dive trip
    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 9:11pm
heyday View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys, my family and brother in laws family are heading down to wellington next week from the 26th til new years eve, and will be diving 27 and 28 in the morning and im hoping to do a bit of spearfishing but am wanting to know if anyone would be keen to join up or give some advice , were probably going to makara where we have had a bit of luck with paua in the past but im not sure what the spear fishing or cray diving is like off that bay, any info would be helpful,

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 6:29am
Crippy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Makara is good. I head south to the point then go south from there for crays, tarakihi,jds and the odd kingfish. 

The accessible spots on the south coast get hammered but like most places that get a lot of pressure get out deeper (16-20m) and you’ll find fish, just be very careful of the currents. South coast try breaker bay and follow the reef towards Barrett reef or sharks tooth to the western side of Lyall bay.

If you’re keen for a drive Wainuiomata can provide some good diving too.

Go hard or die trying.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 11:20pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

unless you have access to a boat to travel further south, it gets pretty well picked over like Crippy said.
however getting paua is generally fairly easy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 11:56pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've lived in Wellington twice a decade apart and I miss it. I have freedived over reefs in remote places that should have held heaps of paua and Cray's but found it barren. Scraped clean by poachers with tanks and sacks . No eyes out there must of the time. You know those perfect reefs with the deep vertical finger crevases ? Tons of them in Wellington. I had a house in Lyall Bay and if I had friends drop over I'd jump in at the airport and spear big butterfish and get a feed of Paua all in about 20 mins. All in about 3 meters . As long as it's not a southerly. Breaker Bay is beautiful with a sweet beach. Steep dropoff. Anyways what I'm trying to say is ironically you'll always find Paua close to where all the humans live. I've even found a few in Day's bay. Lots of eyes keep the bulk loading poacher ******* away I guess.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote heyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 2:01pm
heyday View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The Paua i found were easy enough, im thinking this time around il try and go a bit deeper to where some others cant really get to in the hopes some bigger ones are around, and if i can get a few fish then all the better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 4:17pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I get what you are thinking. Thing is I've not done so sweet at Makara. Fishwise Just butterfish mostly. Red Rocks served me better, bigger fish. But that's driving as far as poss then lifting a little rigid hull into the water and motoring further then freediving off the boat. Weather windows in wellington can be very short. Sometimes just a matter of hours as it switches poles. When you are considering driving, then walking gear over rocks for a dive in rapidy deteriorating conditions you might want to push out closer to home and get more time in the water for a similar result. If that's the weather you get the line crippy mentioned can do you well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote heyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 8:19am
heyday View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

looking at the weather forecast, winds look northerly and probably a bit stronger then i would like, swell wise seems quite low, so would red rocks be a better option being sheltered from the wind a bit potentially.  Last time we went to makara it was calm as and we only had to be in two meters of water so in my mind if its a bit windy but little swell then although it may not be ideal would it still be safe enough to find some paua