Hi I got a question about eel fishing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tokki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi I got a question about eel fishing
    Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 12:03am
Tokki View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

How D' everyone. Nice to be a member here :)

I moved down to NZ couple years ago.
And I've read primary fishing rules and regulations from MPI website and emailed them about few things but certain things were bit unclear.

So I thought most of members here must know better than anyone.

Mostly I'm interested in eel fishing. At least back in my home country in was my favorite one. But here I'm not sure how the rule goes.
I know most of eels are caught around river mouth or any river flowing. (Except for saltwater ones)

So am I allowed to just go fishing any river or lake for eels? What if I accidentally catch trouts or salmons that require a fishing license? (Simply let them go..? As long as I keep only eels, would I be alright?)

And in Palmerston north, where could go for eel fishing around this time of year?

Again, great to be a member here. And I guess I'll be posting a lot of questions here (of course after I look them up first) Cuz I luuuuuv fishing.

Thanks guys xD

Ps. What kind of fishing app people use in NZ?

From fresh newbie Jo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 4:14am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Welcome to NZ.yesh most rivers will have eels 6 per day limit from memory.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 4:18pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Eel fishing is a bit of a curiosity. As pjc says, the limit is 6 eels per day, although I don't know why you want to catch that many as they get pretty big. Just take what you need. They are very easy to catch and can be found living in most freshwater environments, even small streams and ponds. You can fish anywhere provided you have legal access. You're right about trout/salmon and licences. I think it would be pretty easy to avoid catching trout/salmon. Use large hooks and big baits that would be unattractive to these species. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tokki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 8:01pm
Tokki View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Oh I must have forgotten to post I am fully aware there's a limit for catching eels.

But still thank you for letting me know cuz I wasn't sure about the number. :)

And I happen to see the size of eels in NZ and surely I'll be needing only one or two when I do go fishing.
but It's hard to find a nice spot in Palmerston north area.

But still thank you guys for the replies :D
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 5:48am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Manawatu riverprovides plenty of opportunity. right on your door step.