Twist and shoot?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Twist and shoot?
    Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 9:13pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was watching a Sunray video about new fly rod range and at 4:30 minutes into it  starts talking about you can reduce shooting friction by twisting the butt guides 90 degrees to the side ...

I thought he was taking the p*ss but then I did a google search and found this article on the TFO site:

which basically says to rotate your rod hand through 90 degrees on the shoot to reduce tangling. Supposedly a tournament casting technique - anyone given it a try  and found it works in the real world of fishing?
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 5:31am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

H'mmm I was going to say something rude in reply, but after looking at the links I must say I'm curious. It looks like something designed to complicate fly fishing even more. Do we need to bother about it?? I personally don't get many tangles. I also don't have issues with 'rod slap' and the line throwing a loop around the butt (I do get this occasionally, but it was with one specific type of line). I think all this palaver is just designed to make my brain hurt    There could be something in it though. Do I care? Probably not
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 8:08am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting idea......but I have to say I'm with Craig on this.    Il go give it a go next time I'm out, but unless I see a large improvement I don't think il bother to be honest. 

Thanks for the info regardless though Wolfie Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 12:21pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

This line slapping on the rod shaft has been a topic for ages.     I wanted to find out.    I went to our local park and with my Olympus film camera (That's how long ago I conducted this experiment)  I photographed up the rod as the line shot out.    As I was using a white line I could clearly see in all the pictures that the line was dead straight with no slapping on the shaft.     Contact with the shaft would temporarily occur as the tip recoils after the stop but even this can be minimised by a follow through in the direction of the cast and a slight release of the grip.   As the line shoot out usually the rod is still at a slight angle which means that the line will rub against the very outside point of the guides.    
On the other hand with snake guides (on all salt water rods) turning the rod 90 degrees could quite possibly force the line towards the rod shaft for more friction.
This is just my way of visualising how snake guides would work when the rod is turned 90 degrees.    Again a photo would prove it one way or another.

Frequent line tangling  around the rod usually results from hauling across the body, from a shooting basket that is in the wrong position or from wind blowing the shooting line towards the rod butt etc .    

I have always been a fan of small/light guides to avoid dead loading a rod.    Talking about friction, which is supposed to less with Ridge Lines.     Theoretically this may be so, however there is an other matter of more concern to me.     The circumference  of a round line is say X   If you were to stretch out all the valleys on a ridge line the  surface area would be much greater.     Initially I liked the idea as I though the valleys would hold more floatant silicon.     True but that silicon also trapped a lot of dirt.    What really put me off these lines is  that the valleys also greatly increased the wetted line surface thereby adding weight to the line, which is of no benefit at all.    

Cheers

Herb 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 1:57pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Very interesting Rainbow. You have certainly put the hard yards in and your knowledge of the technicalities amazes me. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 5:06pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

making it all to complicatedLOL

think ill stick with;'find the fish, cast at fish, catch the fish'
way easierCool.

Interesting article tho Mark, thanks for sharing.
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly