A fun morning in the north - kontiki & surfcast

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A fun morning in the north - kontiki & surfcast
    Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 5:14pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Our first kontiki set with a bit off surfcasting.

Arriving in the north Wed late evening we would normally go for a surfcast at our spot we love to fish on the low but with the tides wrong we hatched a plan to have an early night and hit the beach before light - the plan was to set the tiiki on light and do a bit of surfcasting for the morning. We were up before the birds and on our way for our first far north fish, we have only just added the kontiki to our far north trips over the past couple of years.

Stevo brought himself an electric one for fishing the Tauranga area with his kids where he lives now, I use to do it as a kid with my dad,pop and friends but we were old school with the plastic bag and winding the reel by hand - it was a lot of fun as a kid and still is but I look forward more to flicking out a bait on the surfcast while the tiki soaks.

Arriving at our spot while still dark we started the set up just on daybreak, there's something just special about being the only ones standing on a far north beach as the sun rises gearing up the fishing gear. I snuck away while Stevo was sorting out the tiki to gear up the surfcaster and flick out a bait, it's the best time to have a bait out there. It didn't take long to get the look from Stevo so I quickly flicked out the bait and helped finishing off baiting up the hooks for the tiki.

We had a mixture of squid and mullet, we always try to have a mixture and even better if we can get a fresh Kahawai on the surfcaster it's always great to have fresh bait. With the hooks baited Stevo was ready to launch the tiki and dropped it in, it was underway and nothing was taking any interest in the surfcaster as yet. Even not getting any fish in a place like this I don't mind to much but you usually pick up a couple of fish either on the tiki or surfcast.

It was a beaut morn and we even had a special moment with a pod of dolphins swimming by - probably not great for the fishing though. The tiki had been soaking for 20mins before our first interest on my surfcaster, it's gets ya hart pumping when your standing watching the tip of the rod and it starts to twitch. Waiting through the little nibbles I waited for that grab we all want when fishing, but to no joy.

Casting out a new bait it was hit with in seconds of putting it in the holder. I was hoping for a nice big Trev like the one I caught a few months ago but I could tell it was just a nice little Snap. It was a good little first fish on my new Okuma surf combo, these new nanomatrix rods are super light and are a perfect match with the Trio rex salt.

As I was re-baiting Stevo yield out he was hooked up, it looked like a little school of Snaps had just come mooching by out front. It was another nice little snap around 45cm. After the excitement of catching a couple of fish on the casters it was time to crank up the tiki, it had been a good soak around 40mins so we were hoping for a couple more fish. Being here for a few days we don't want a lot of fish on the tiki so it's always good to only get a couple especially now we had a couple in the bin already.

The hooks started to come in which most were de-baited and fish-less, but then out of the white water came a little Snap, then another and one more. We only got the three which wasn't to bad as it gave us 5-6 Snaps for the morning and that's all we needed. As we were finishing off Stevo got a huge strike on the rod, it buckled hard and line was peeling. It's a king it's a king Stevo - it had that tail sign until we seen something jump and I knew right then it was just a big ray.

Being in paradise and the only ones fishing the beach the fish were just a bonus, we were off to a good start on our 5-6 day fishing trip.

Tight lines