Size Limit On Kingfish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Size Limit On Kingfish
    Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 2:59pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Can someone tell me why the commercial size limit for kingfish is 65cm when the recreational size limit is 75cm? I've been waiting six months for this question to be answered on another section of this Forum through NZ Fishing News by MPI. More than a reasonable time for a reponse from the government ministry responsible for the management of OUR marine fisheries. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 3:00pm
Gold
Gold

Sorry guys , kingfish, not bloody mingfish. Typo. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 3:07pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don't know the answer, but if it's caught by a commercial, it's probably a dead fish anyway, so what difference does it make?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JasonEdward62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 3:13pm
JasonEdward62 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My understanding was the higher rec size was increased on request from (I think) maybe the NZSFC???
And there are good reasons for keeping lower commercial size limits...if we raise the commercial size limits undersize fish must be released dead or alive and will not come off quota. They don't come from quota because quotas were originally set as fractions of commercial LANDED catches which did not include undersize fish.
So if we raise the commercial size limit more fish - a proportion of those release as required - will die that aren't accounted for by quota.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 4:03pm
Gold
Gold

Ok , thanks Jason. It's a real bugger at the south end of the harbour where they are a by catch from trevally drag netting. The average flats fish here is between 65cm and 75cm and numbers of kings are going downhill. I know because I wade the flats fly fishing for kings nearly every day between the beginning of October until the end of May. Each year, my hours per king increases and I catch fewer as each season passes and I see fewer riding short tails. A lot more are being released by recreational anglers these days but their numbers are dropping. I would expect the flats fish to be constantly replenished from outside, but this doesn't seem to be making a difference. Thanks for your reply. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 4:11pm
Gold
Gold

The fish that come in with the drag netting operation are fine from what I have seen. Trouble is that they are worth dollars. A lot of time and effort goes into tagging the fish by well intentioned anglers who think they are doing their bit for the resource they are passionate about. A friend watched the drag netting operation some time ago and there were eight kings in the nets, four of which were tagged. When he asked if the tagged fish were going to be reported, he was told probably not. He managed to secure one of the tags. There is a commercial fly fishing operation that also targets the kings which are tagged and released. The kings are worth far more alive than dead. Cheers t
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 4:22pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Equal size for all.
250mm snapper comm  reccs sna1 300mm why?? because its too bloody costly for comms to change cod ends
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 4:30pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Mudfish marquand Mudfish marquand wrote:

Ok , thanks Jason. It's a real bugger at the south end of the harbour where they are a by catch from trevally drag netting. The average flats fish here is between 65cm and 75cm and numbers of kings are going downhill. I know because I wade the flats fly fishing for kings nearly every day between the beginning of October until the end of May. Each year, my hours per king increases and I catch fewer as each season passes and I see fewer riding short tails. A lot more are being released by recreational anglers these days but their numbers are dropping. I would expect the flats fish to be constantly replenished from outside, but this doesn't seem to be making a difference. Thanks for your reply. Cheers

Didnt think there was any one commercially dragging netting the harbour any more. Im of the understanding the last person sold up or dragging was not prohibited
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 4:55pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

Originally posted by Mudfish marquand Mudfish marquand wrote:

Didnt think there was any one commercially dragging netting the harbour any more. Im of the understanding the last person sold up or dragging was not prohibited
Brian Kiddie?? is the last remaining person who drag,it was on country calendar earlier this year,might be able to watch on demand??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 5:09pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Comms are still working the harbour Craig.

Dick, I fixed your heading typo, cheersBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 5:54pm
Gold
Gold

Thank you Bill, much appreciated.

There is another commercial operation this end of Tauranga Harbour that drag nets for piper, grey mullet, and more recently they have been targetting eagle rays. The price that have heard quoted is $80.00 per ray, of what size I don't know. Nothing is sacred, if there is a dollar in it, it will be taken from the resource. In 2014, I saw them with 500kg of parore, each fish in the 1.8kg to 2.4kg size. Within the last six months they had a haul of what I was told was around 1000kg of parore. I would have thought that it would be better to keep the parore in the harbour to help with the sea lettuce problem.

Thanks for your interest guys.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 7:26pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Angers who fish, observe and live in one area over a long period of time are a valuable data resource. Their experiences should be officially recorded as part of our Marine history and ultimately influence fishery management in their area. The baseline shifts from generation to generation. Mudfish, Alan , tzer and a few others here have fished the same areas for 20 + years. Their knowledge of their local fisheries is a precious thing. They are aware of baseline changes beyond the basic good and bad years that every ecosystem will exhibit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 9:28pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I posted a couple of years ago on the Tauranga thread how sad it was to visit the Kauri Pt Wharf I'd heard so much about and see the treatment of kingfish and jack mackerel.

There were new NZers using throw nets (illegal if targeting jack mackerel, which they clearly were) to haul in huge tub fulls of mackerel which shelter in the lee of the wharf. They had a rod in every hole on the wharf rigged with live baits, and proceeded to pull in probably half a dozen kingies in the time I was there. As well as about 2 tonnes of sea lettuce.

Several of the undersized kingies were so badly treated, thrashing and bashing on the hot concrete, that they went belly up when hurled back in the water. And the others were dispatched and bled all over the wharf. The mackerel gradually died in the tubs and were dragged home at the end of the day.

I gathered they are local fruit pickers who meat hunt on the wharf and are there pretty much every day during kingfish season. There are salty locals who hang out there just as much, live baiting too.
That's a lot of potential flats fish, and their food source, on that side of the harbour being taken by 'recs'...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 9:58pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is a problem with a spot like that wharf. I fished it once and the Kings are mad there they know a suspect bait too.
For every gun fisho which is in the 10 percent it is probably a good thing we(hehe) catch the most fish and treat them well released or kept.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 6:28am
Gold
Gold

We used to have a problem at Sulphur Point with the mistreatment of kings by some of the topwater guys dragging the fish across the rocks and laying them on hot rocks and so on. Some of these antics were filmed and widely distributed. Peer pressure played a big role to change this and in most cases these days you see kings being treated more respectfully. I just wish there was more use of single hook lures. I've seen some shocking damage to kings caused by an extra swinging hook. We all need to be more respectful towards our resource. Cheers