Smelt Flies for Rotoiti

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smelt Flies for Rotoiti
    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 2:02pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

A new set of smelt flies for the new season      Did really well last year on those fibre patterns in white, olive and grey with flash body.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 8:12pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Some great looking flies there Rainbow. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 8:21pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I take my hat off to guys like Rainbow who catch such good fish on their own tied flies - I have caught fish on rainbows flies too so they work well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 8:33pm
Gold
Gold

Yeah, Herb is a legend. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 9:01pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Close-up of my olive fibre smelt flies.     Third is under UV light.
Cheers

Herb

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 9:34pm
Gold
Gold

Very nice Herb.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 9:56am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's hard to pick out by the photo, but is the head epoxied or is that a thin layer of silicone?
Also, does the epoxy/silicone extend all the way down the wing towards the hook point or is it left untreated.

My thinking it would have a thin coating to prevent wrapping of the wing????

Is it fished in a jigging motion as opposed to a slow, steady swimming draw like the real whitebait?

Nice ties - just interested in the finer details Rainbow.

Thanks for sharing.
Clap
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 6:04pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi All     I use synthetic Living Fibre Hanks for the wing.    Thread is chartreuse Ultra Thead FL yellow. 3mm 3D eyes and thick flowing UV glue for the head .    Pearl Mylar for the body.    When the wing is tied in I lay a thin bead of UV glue on top of the body and lightly touch the wing down so that only some of the fibres make contact with the glue.    Then I firm it with the UV torch so that the lower  fibres of the wing  are locked in.     This stops the wing from flopping away from the body.     Re eyes.   When I started  I had a real job getting the eyes off the base and onto the head with my fingers.    Now  I put a touch of UV glue on the head and tip the needle point in that to get a tiny smear on the needle.    Then I loosen the eye off the base, which then sticks to the needle,    I can easily transfer it to the head where it sticks.    Once that is done I can move it into the right position with the needle and do that same with the other eye.     A quick sap with the uv torch and they are fixed in position.     After that I coat the whole head in glue and harden it with the torch.      It is actually quicker to do than to prescribe.
Fish it anyway  slow or erratic; both get strikes 

Hope that helps

BTW the smelt at Rotoiti are big enough to have an olive back hence the colour     I also tie white and grey ones

Cheers

Herb

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 6:21pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got it - Thumbs Up

Thanks.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed