Weighted worm hooks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jack.worthington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weighted worm hooks
    Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 5:13pm
jack.worthington View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone tried weight worm hooks like the Mustad Power Lock or something similar? Getting sick of losing softbaits when fishing off the rocks. Do worm hooks actually lower your snag rate? and do they impact the action in any negative ways?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 7:27pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If the videos I've watched on YouTube are anything to go by, the Aussies are the masters at 'weedless' or snagless hook styles.
Some of them cast right into tree roots and mangrove forests and the lures bounce right out.
Check out the TT Lures posts on YouTube and online. They have a range of weedless hook styles designed for Z Mans and you can buy them online from Australian sites, not sure about here.

My experience with thicker Z Man curly tail grubs in the shallows is that they bounceover rocks much better than other styles - even with standard jigheads you basically only just have the hook point showing.

I have more problems with snagging using Gulp, which aren't buoyant. I love them in certain situations, but not among foul areas.

The other option to slow your sink rate is to go up in size of lure - Z Man 7" for example - on 1/4 oz jigheads.

Check out the Moocher Hunters videos on YouTube for great tips on fishing off the rocks for snapper with softies (around Gt Barrier etc).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jack.worthington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 8:33pm
jack.worthington View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

If the videos I've watched on YouTube are anything to go by, the Aussies are the masters at 'weedless' or snagless hook styles.
Some of them cast right into tree roots and mangrove forests and the lures bounce right out.
Check out the TT Lures posts on YouTube and online. They have a range of weedless hook styles designed for Z Mans and you can buy them online from Australian sites, not sure about here.

My experience with thicker Z Man curly tail grubs in the shallows is that they bounceover rocks much better than other styles - even with standard jigheads you basically only just have the hook point showing.

I have more problems with snagging using Gulp, which aren't buoyant. I love them in certain situations, but not among foul areas.

The other option to slow your sink rate is to go up in size of lure - Z Man 7" for example - on 1/4 oz jigheads.

Check out the Moocher Hunters videos on YouTube for great tips on fishing off the rocks for snapper with softies (around Gt Barrier etc).

I usually run 7" zmans on a 3/8 inch jighead when im in shallow. Might have to switch to 1/4 to slow down that sink rate a bit.

Any idea why worm hooks arent more popular in NZ? Im guessing jig heads became popular first and people stuck with them?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 9:11pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I like worm hooks but don't use them for snag free properties. They certainly give you more versatility just by varying the weight of a conventional ball or bean sinker
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 9:52pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've got a couple of books about soft baiting and worm hooks were definitely used a lot in the early days of NZ soft baiting, from what I can see.
They were used with the elevator style heads in deep water, and with ball sinkers in the shallower areas.
But some anglers reported dropping more fish on them (due to the wider gape?). Others swear by them.
But i think it's fair to say that jigheads won out in terms of popularity.

Definitely try the 1/4oz. Most of the experts say that's plenty in close.

Check out the Australian vids on YouTube and you will see plenty of weighted worm hook rigs being used in the estuaries for mangrove jack etc.MyLureBox is a good example.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 10:11pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've given worm hooks a good go. While they snag up less in weed, I don't think it makes much difference in rocky areas, you're still going to lose gear. I like that I can mix and match hook sizes and weights with worm hooks. Sometimes I want a small hook with a relatively heavy weight, other times a larger hook with a light weight. Options are quite limited with jig heads in this respect. Compared to the USA and Aussie, we do seem to have less choice of soft baiting gear, not sure why.