Waverider Super aggressive reverse chine.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waverider Super aggressive reverse chine.
    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 2:37pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Check out the SUPER reverse chines on this ally hull, amost indents into the hull the whole length. Clearly cuts out a lot of spray and I imagine at rest does a whole lot of stability. Looking at the hull design it does run the length and is not just a gull wing but a complete 60 odd degrees of reverse chine, Id love to have a ride in one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Kg3j8KsLg

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ofthesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 4:30pm
ofthesea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I bet a lot of people wouldn't handle it as well as that guy, he's got the speed just perfect for starters
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 4:58pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try a local built boat that has the same capability though not as aggressive a reverse chine, only 25-30 degrees up front but has the added overlapping gun whale that makes it an incredibly dry boat too.

My FC560 boat deals with bar crossings just like that with plenty of lift up front.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 6:25pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its actually a hydrofoil which he explains in his design video, its pretty basic physics when you look at it.

Yeah Joker for the average guy it doesnt mean much as most boat with a bit of chine an stability are fine.

But in the case of my Mrs Ive had to stick with Ribs for a while due to stability at rest.

This thing would definitely be as stable a Cat, plus as you can see it tears up chop all the way home. So I think it would sell well here. A small 550 Hard Top version would make the ultimate inshore/offshore mini weapon for those that need ultra stable at rest boats.

I do like surtees and more so extreme, extremes EXTREME entry and deadrise, plus the flattened chine/gull wing alone with a flooding ballast like Surtees, along with being the leader in plate thickness and having won so many awards in the last 4 years, ie the 8mm hull in the 795 Centre Cab with enclosed Helm walk around is just an Epic boat and will go down as a classic. But imagine if they reversed that chine 30 degrees. It doesnt need it, but man you wouldnt need a flooding ballast ever, although having one doesnt hurt, but takes up room for those who want an inboard and say 1000 ltr diesel tank (extreme range).

Anyway, they are cheaper than BlackDog Cats and perform just as good, possibly better and dont cost the earth for something sparce. Dont get me Wrong I love BDC, but it is what it is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 6:28pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by ofthesea ofthesea wrote:

I bet a lot of people wouldn't handle it as well as that guy, he's got the speed just perfect for starters

Yeah you definitely need experience. I know the area he is in well and those sand bars are forever moving. In saying that it definitely chewed it up and spat it out like nothing else Ive seen. Even RIBs dont get that much slice and soft landing.

Would love to see them here. Will be on my list next time Im over there. It could make a good dive replacement to RIBs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 6:42pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have wondered why more aggressive reverse chines aren’t more widespread. Is there a disadvantage to the aggressive reverse chines?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 10:46pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Their claims are kinda silly around width... the 5m has about 10% less beam than, say, a Blackdog Cat. Similar beam as most monohulls in that size range.

Looking at their photos, they appear similar in stability to a pontoon boat. I bet they ride like one too. If you look at most modern pontoon boats, they taper the pontoons into the bow, otherwise you get quite a jarring ride because the bow won't cut into a wave, it just hits it and stops. It looks a lot like you get the same effect from having the big reverse chine all the way into the bow, and I suspect this is the reason boats like Extreme and FC don't extend the reverse chine all the way to the front.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 2:22am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

I bet they ride like one too. If you look at most modern pontoon boats

Watch the video of one chewing up the surf in maroochy? Makes me want my teeth and discs in my back replaced by NZ aly shallow deadrise pontoon boats :-) . Only pontoon boat id own would be osprey due to the extreme sharp entry and deadrise, but stable at rest due to the gull win shape of the D shaped pontoons.

Nah these things are supposedly soft riding, more like a Cat that traps the air effect. The physics is quite different, hence you dont lose teeth like a 16deg dead rise pontoon back breaker.

I think FC just followed the basics set by prior boats and mass produced a cheap tinny, although not so cheap to be fair.

Extreme have other things going for their ride, like the entry and etreme deadrise, much thicker plate, and of course a flooding ballast should that all not be enough.

I think Extreme have the edge in ally plate boats in NZ. In Aus there are quite a few but companies like Genesys make good hulls. Of course they sell barcrishers/surtees, but they are slightly lighhter on the plate ally used.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 2:36am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Crochet Cast Crochet Cast wrote:

I have wondered why more aggressive reverse chines aren’t more widespread. Is there a disadvantage to the aggressive reverse chines?

I think unless your design is like this lot, which relies on the reverse chine pushing air down into the water all the way up the boat, it could be, but I would like to see a more gull wing shape like the old allycraft tinnies used, or maybe just an aggressive reverse chine at the back. But I agree, its not common in ally boats I presume as a horizontal chine from the deadrise is considered enough for ENOUGH stability.

But now Im seeing plate ally trailer boats with those $30k stabiliser systems installed, they are something different all together. More common on large boats/yachts
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 9:13am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

I bet they ride like one too. If you look at most modern pontoon boats

Watch the video of one chewing up the surf in maroochy? Makes me want my teeth and discs in my back replaced by NZ aly shallow deadrise pontoon boats :-) . Only pontoon boat id own would be osprey due to the extreme sharp entry and deadrise, but stable at rest due to the gull win shape of the D shaped pontoons.

Most pontoons these days are around the same as that boat (17 deg at transom). Have you been out on a modern pontoon?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 10:05am
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think our alloy boat builders and designers are probably the best in the world, leave Aussies for dead. If that exaggerated gull wing was so great I am sure we would have seen it here. All the pontoon boats I've owned have a lesser version of that, the Senator I own now does. I don't pretent to know anything about hull designs but I have have owned many alloy boats, some good, some ok. i tend to get on with it, put my money where other people put their mouth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 10:13am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pompey, well said ... me too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 10:59pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wonder how quiet those reverse chines are at rest,, slapping g and firing water forwards as waves or even ripples go in..

I'm not sure I like the flat cornering either..

As for the drive on drive off trailering, well that's nothing new or unique.

Pontoon boats, there are proper pontoons, that are effectively a tube at water level, dragging in the water and obviously bulging out externally from the hull, and then the internal ones that leave the external hull shape no different to a mono v hull.

The first will affect handling and stability significantly, the second won't, but provides reserve buoyancy well above the floor level.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 9:12am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Isnt it ironic how the basic old school, well proven gull wing principles of the Sea nymphs, Haines (etc) boats have come back into a handful salt water designs... designs that come with high rep now.. As mentioned above FC etc.
 Also that , from side profile the steep angle where the bow hits the water.

Down side is that tramped air plays havoc with transducers.
 needing to be lower, which causes spray over the motor.. even sucked into deck area, and simple cover mod  to stop... not supplied with the boats... yet.