Nice squid in Western Australia

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nice squid in Western Australia
    Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 1:54am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My biggest squid so far....36cm hood......Tip to tip...same length as my mrs arm.

Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 9:27am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 10:27am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very good. I'm going to try and catch a squid this summer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 1:44pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Top squid that. Are you under one of the bridges crossing the Swan River?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 6:55am
Titanium
Titanium

Southern Calamari........Busselton jetty mate.
Apparently they frequent New zealand waters as well but i only saw arrow squid when i was there......I thought this was a bloody octopus with all the commotion  in the water(When i was winding inBig smile)
      If you leave your squid in milk for a while before cooking it helps make it more tender........squid madras curry is my favorite.Wink...with evil chilli from the garden.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 5:04am
Titanium
Titanium

New PB 38cm hood
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 6:08am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wow, do you get a lot of people fishing for them over there LBD?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 2:16pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have to say one of the very few things I miss about living in Perth was the ability to walk down to my local beach and catch a squid for dinner.  Delicious just fried in butter on the BBQ.

Funny how catching them here in NZ don't seem to be a thing?  Maybe we are missing out on a great opportunity.  Not much of a chance of me catching them however, living here in Queenstown.  Non in lake Wakatipu LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 5:37pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what a beauty!, that would have tested your line strength! Yes squid is a whole fishing scene on its own in straya. They seem to be in most places and catchable ! Great photo mate 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 5:12am
Titanium
Titanium

These are southern calamari......they can grow to 55cm hood....and only live for about a year......this jetty is famous for big squid.......two and a half hours from Perth.
There are squid around Perth but not as many or as big as from this jetty.
This dood followed the one on the floor whilst i was bringing it in....i landed that one and then just chucked the jig straight back in and he took it at my feet....we had squid curry for 3 days from him !Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 5:15am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Wow, do you get a lot of people fishing for them over there LBD?
oh yes........very popular fishing for squid over here....cuttlefish as well.Wink