MAC600s - seem like such good buying????

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MAC600s - seem like such good buying????
    Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 7:09pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So after looking around I have found the MAC boats seem to be very cheap for the amount of Boat you get.

This one started off at about 40k.....and keeps dropping! Pretty much brand new.......

My Q is why? I looked at one in person and sadly it was badly treated and scratched and hammered hull wise, Which I know is hard to do. Wont say where it was.......the other older ones appear to age or "go bland" so to speak.

Are they just ugly? is there more to em??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keithal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 9:26pm
Keithal View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ugly wet heavy
Very basic in the fitout
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 10:07pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Evening, your link appears to go nowhere.

That said I have a 5.7 Mac. As mentioned above it will win no beauty prizes, but I’m on the inside looking out at those with no boat. Yes mine is basic in the outfit (no seats-no sounds) and it is a wet boat.

That said it pulls up wake boards/skis/biscuits no problems—and they can leap/scrap their way overboard without issues, has taught lots of people how to handle a boat (hit the jetty/shore/rocks/boats at speed), is able to fit 4 divers and gear, but importantly is not worth a lot in monetary value.
Final point, yesterday I took my oldest boy (15) out (and a mate of his), I did nothing after launching it till retrieving it- but we had a limit of scollops, snapper and a few crayfish too.
Our boat/trailer/car is worth maybe 20K on a good day but goes everywhere between Tauranga and Taupo.

Watching your kids surpass you is priceless.

I’m happy if you want to pm me for a trip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:10am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

All the Macs are like the old Toyota Hilux of boats. They're agricultural, a little unrefined, they handle like a barge, and ride rough, but they're damn near indestructible, unsinkable, and you can treat them like complete **** and they'll take it like an absolute champion. One of my boating mates has had 2x 420's, a cuddy and a CC, and they have both been wicked boats, especially for inshore fishing. The CC is the wettest boat I have ever been on though, by a considerable margin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:23am
Silver
Silver

Not sure what happen to the link. But it’s a mac600 fisherman that’s about 2 years old with a honda 115 on it. Done 20 hours or so. They are asking 33999 and it’s pretty much brand new. Seems so cheap. I was wondering why it hasn’t moved. They are dropping the price every week.

The sports looks better more gpr ish. Most of them have 4 strokes on the back of them but they just don’t seem to demand the $$$ of a aloy or glass boat. I was super interested in them until I saw them in person and heard they don’t ride well. Sadly it looks really hard to add anything to them - and they are so basic that if your spending 20k plus the
creature comforts come into play. Things like capsan or other things appear hard to sort.

The strength of em is wicked. And if you pick one up for good value then your in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:24am
Silver
Silver

Ps people pay stupid money for hiluxs with 200,000 ks on the clock. . .   This I suppose is the opposite??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 9:36am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My Q is why? I looked at one in person and sadly it was badly treated and scratched and hammered hull wise, Which I know is hard to do.

An alloy boat around rocks , beach launching, in rivers can get rather dented, and scratches etc...generally hard environment work boats.
 Macs are the same, except the dents tend to pop out but the scratches, as plastic does, show up stand out...
 Up till recently most the mac been in and seen have been east coast ramp boats. Now west coast/ river, and see what these guys do and treat their plastic boats, which could be described as a little more extreme than the alloys...and they take it.

Smartwave are the same.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 9:38am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Polyethylene plastic is a poor engineering material, which means that  it is heavy for the strength/stiffness that it has. 

The skin thickness for roto moulded boats is hence very heavy, and the material itself is low gloss and it will not go through the water as well as a glass boat. 

On the other hand the gap between skins is filled with foam, and the plastic absorbs knocks, bumps and is immune to corrosion, rot or osmosis. 

I had a 3.5m Smartwave and it was brilliant. I took it well off the West coast and it always got me home. The only weakness was a closely spaced wind chop: Slow wet and uncomfortable.

But in the larger sizes, stiffer materials build more efficient boats. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 4:25pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Unless you want a stalking boat for the shallows I can't see any reason why you would waste 40k.

There are much better boats around than those.

Huge differences.
Better value for less.

I suggest get on some other boats out for a days fishing.
Hands on realtime experience will hopefully guide you to substantibetter options for your dollars.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Francewa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 11:49am
Francewa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I can't speak for the 600 but I own an older double centre console 420. As mentioned very wet, and low freeboard on the older models. Also very heavy for their size. However no worries with rotting or corroding, and very quiet underway and at rest. I've found it a nice material to work with. Easy to modify with basic tools if you're looking to add modifications. Super stable at rest and roomy. Personally, I wouldn't go back to alloy, the low maintenance, safety and stability outweigh the negatives in my opinion. But other commenters are right - won't win any beauty contests
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 4:34pm
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hulls tend to flex near transom causing cupping and huge drag, not enough bracing along floor bearers. the only reason it's getting cheaper, is because it's too dear for what it is, and not desirable, the next owner will lose heaps. only saving grace is they dont mind bouncing off hard things, BUT props do ! and they need more hp to do less work.
Apart from that not bad.
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 6:05am
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Did you buy the Mac and how is going? Asking as we have a 570 (which has been great but it’s a fishing/dive boat-so I don’t even have seats). We did consider upgrading to this one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 8:01am
Silver
Silver

Sadly no. I have ordered a seaforce 530 ute. Primary use is going to be family fishing etc

Needed something soft and dry. I liked the robustness of Mac but the finish and low sides mixed with how hard they are to attach things to etc they moved off the list.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 11:10pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If they threw in a free rain jacket they would have a better shot at moving it on.
http://www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 7:44am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by neil_cb125t neil_cb125t wrote:

Sadly no. I have ordered a seaforce 530 ute. Primary use is going to be family fishing etc

Needed something soft and dry. I liked the robustness of Mac but the finish and low sides mixed with how hard they are to attach things to etc they moved off the list.

Greet choice! Be keen to hear how you get on with it. When's the due date?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 4:47pm
Silver
Silver

Due in a few weeks - Getting a Suzy 4 stroke to power it. 

Cant come soon enough!!

Popped up to see it last week, its all going to plan thus far. Real cool seeing it in the build stage too.