VHF for offshore fishing/safety?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VHF for offshore fishing/safety?
    Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 10:43am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

PWC's make fantastic machines for fishing as we all know.

However any 10-11ft boat can be very vulnerable even just a few kms off the coast without the right gear.

What safety gear do you carry?

So far I have:

Life Vest/jacket
Flares
Personal EPIRB
Drogue
Anchor with enough cord to reach the outer gulf 50m mark
Cellphones with both Voda/Spark sims (waterproof pouch)
Solar charger for battery and spare power bank for electronics like phone
Telecopic Paddle
Safety ER kit
DRY Bag
Emergency Blanket
Extra fuel (this is another topic but Im looking into expansion options)
VHF Radio * this is what I want to discuss.
5w Personal VHF Radio

How hard is it to fit a 25w VHF and how much battery juice does it suck, in other words would it be an issue on draining the battery?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 11:03am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In addition to your list, I have an emergency jump starter. Can’t comment on the fixed VHF as I just have a 6W handheld and a 5W backup handheld.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 11:44am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

In addition to your list, I have an emergency jump starter. Can’t comment on the fixed VHF as I just have a 6W handheld and a 5W backup handheld.

Thanks MB. Generally I find my 5w does ok and its great knowing I have one if somehow I get separated from my vessel. Im looking at some youtube videos on 25w model installs to the vessel and it doesnt seem an issue.

Do you stick your PLB in your vest pocket? Thats what I plan to do. Also to me it makes sense for a $100 more to go for a GPS model....

I have an EPIRB from boating. 

How small is your emergency jump starter? Im thinking of the one I bought years ago for the car, its a reasonable size. But thats a great pointer, thanks. The solar kits are small fold out mats that have alligator clips. But thinking about that, you cant rely on the sun being strong etc. 

Ive gotten to the point where I feel less nervous about taking a PWC offshore based upon having the right safety gear. 

Clearly adequate water for a few days is important too. Worst case. Beyond that, I think your at the hands of the gods. I dont think one of those water makers they put in life rafts would fit in a PWC......?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 12:00pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep, PLB in pocket. The jump starter is a PowerAll. I’ve used it once and glad to have had it with me when needed!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 12:05pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Yep, PLB in pocket. The jump starter is a PowerAll. I’ve used it once and glad to have had it with me when needed!

Geeze bro, knowing you have used it sold it to me haha. Unlike my RIB engines I cant tie a cord around anything and pull start a PWC.

Im looking at Garmin Inreach SOS 2 way mini vs the PLB and or both. 

This is all stuff Im wanting to build regardless if I end up with the ski or sticking to the RIBs. Pretty much all of it is used in similar ways. 

I should add kill cord to that list. Im presuming most pwc's have a similar system in case you are on cruise control etc.....

Technology is saving a lot of lives out on the water these days. I cant understand people who spend $100k on a boat and dont even have an Epirb. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishmad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 8:02pm
fishmad1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I installed a GME GX750, blackbox set with controls on the hand piece... works really well and of course much better range

www.hi-ika.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 8:13pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice tidy install mate! I've had that same unit on 2 skis now, they're awesome
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 10:50pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by fishmad1 fishmad1 wrote:

I installed a GME GX750, blackbox set with controls on the hand piece... works really well and of course much better range

Wow unless you do this for a living you should be very proud of that install it is FRESH.

I like your placement, your chart plotter is in easy access to touch and set way points etc, but the radio is not too far to reach as its not used as often but still very accessible.

Can I ask is the wiring hard with different looms etc, or are there adapters which make it kind of plug and play?

How much was that radio?