Newbie looking for gear and advice

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie looking for gear and advice
    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 9:14pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi all..
I've fished all my life... going to be the wrong side of 50 in December.
I've decided I'd like to have a crack at SWF.

I'll be fishing mainly around cape Brett to the Mokes...

So targeting big trevs and kahawai.. and kings.. Offshore I'll have a go at skippies and mahimahi.

Question is.. will 9/10 be enought? Should I go for 11 ?
And I'm on a budget.. What's good value fr money ?   
I'm hoping to not spend more than $600.

Also open to second hand gear if anyone is looking to sell.

Cheers James
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 9:50pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That country you'll be fishing is awesome! 

I have a few SWF rods and use my 8 wgt way more than the other heavier rods. I reckon its plenty big enough for inshore / flats stuff, most snapper and small - medium trevs. Its fairly light and fun to cast.

If fishing offshore for bigger kingis a 10 wgt might be a better bet but this is overkill for kahawai which are your most common opportunity.

A 9 wgt might be a good compromise.
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 10:25pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks mate..

Looking for brands and models of rods and reels that will be ok for my situation.

Cheers James
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 11:07pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You may like to have a look at Armand Grobler's website that went online yesterday morning. maxcatchnz.co.nz  I have three of these rods and they can't be beat as far as $s are concerned. You could also consider the Redington Behemoth reel, which is very good value for the money. At $600.00, you could have some good gear that would set you up very nicely. You will find plenty of helpful opinions and advice from members of this forum. All the best with your new sport, you will find swf very addictive. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 8:19am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Mudfish marquand Mudfish marquand wrote:

You may like to have a look at Armand Grobler's website that went online yesterday morning. maxcatchnz.co.nz  I have three of these rods and they can't be beat as far as $s are concerned. You could also consider the Redington Behemoth reel, which is very good value for the money. At $600.00, you could have some good gear that would set you up very nicely. You will find plenty of helpful opinions and advice from members of this forum. All the best with your new sport, you will find swf very addictive. Cheers

Thanks..
I'll check it out.
Yes.... I have looked at the behemoth and read mostly good things about them.
Cheers James.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 11:34am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I agree with 9/10 for what you are wanting to do.  Modern rods are so light though you may as well go with 10wt and you can still cast it all day. I would spend on the reel, backing and fly line. Get best you can afford. 

All my stuff is budget and reel options I own include both the redington behemouth and fly lab glide reels.  Have had no problems with either and landed plenty of fish.

Rod wise I like the look of the new Airflo beast rod (don't own one) and I think Manic have combos with the Fly Lab glide reel as well.  

I do own a 10wt predator fly rod which I bought from I love flyfishing (http://www.flyfishinginxs.kiwi/product/predator-saltwater-rod-10-9ft) which I am very happy with and has caught plenty of fish including my only bonefish to date.

Additional unsolicited Wink advice - once you have gear...book 2 days with a good guide.  1 day for casting instruction and the 2nd for practice and fishing.  It will be the best money you will ever spend on fly fishing and it will save you lots of frustration, anger and heartache.  

If not, at least get a well versed friend to spend the time with you, one that knows what they are doing and won't teach you bad casting habits. Casting is more important and more challenging with fly fishing than any other form of fishing I have done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 12:45pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea I second Johan's comments.   Casting is a lot of the game and its something that you can either mess around and in 3 years still be struggling, or get some instruction and in a couple of days be putting a line out OK.   Being instructed in casting is vital, so get yourself booked in for some lessons with someone.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 12:46pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks jofly.

I have looked at I loveflyfishing site.
Good to have positive feedback.

J
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 11:06pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks to all who have commented.

All of which has has confirmed what I researched before.   So that's reassuring.

It's all very well reading online reviews from someone that's perhaps not unbiased.
But it's better to hear from you buggers that have been there and used it in NZ..

Thanks to all.

I'm still open to second hand. .. ;)

Cheers James

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 7:48am
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I started this journey about 12 months ago, what I have learnt is:
It’s an obsession, the worst kind - for all the good reasons.
Now 4 rods, (3wt, 6wt, 9wt , 10wt) 5 reels, 2 fly tying vices, numerous flys and a crap ton of other stuff that i am HOOKED.
Keep an eye on trademe for some great buys, I also recommend iloveflyfishing (Barry) and Rod and Reel in Newmarket for great advice. I also took a fly casting lesson which was invaluable.
If you want some humour and have some time check out my YouTube channel otdrmn for some fly fishing antics.
Good luck G
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 8:21am
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks !