Trout Beads

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trout Beads
    Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 8:06pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hopefully I can post a picture of an easy way to attach plastic trout beads to hooks.     Ok that was successful   

Warning to Traditionalists. The following lines contain objectional and potentially corrupting material

The method was invented by my mate Sharney Way after we read an article in the American Fly Fisher Magazine about US anglers using plastic beads to catch steelheads.     Sharney was a smoker and used his lighter to heat the shank of hooks and then sit a bead on it which melted itself to the hook.     Of course this would not only burn off the coating it would also soften the tempered shank.

To prevent the heat softening the bend he buried that in the vice and this stopped the heat travelling down into the bend.    It works beautifully and locks the bead securely to the hook in about 10seconds,  which isn't bad for tying flies.   

I use a small gas burner to just touch the shank with the flame which makes it hot enough to melt the bead on it.

Trouble was that Sharney had a low back cast and often hit the rocks behind him and smashing a lot of beads.     As we used to live on the Breakaway pool I sometimes saw glittering sparkles among the rocks when the sun was very low on the horizon.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 9:43am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Where do you get the beads from? They look very realistic.
Ive used fabric beads from Spotlight. Just inserted hook point into the core and secured with clear thread, sometimes added sparkle and white maribou.

Had a 12lb rainbow on TT during the big trout year. Actually, it broke me off going through a fallen tree but another angler caught it 90 minutes later with my hook in it's mouth!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 9:59am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I got these from a bead shop in New Plymouth that is no longer operating.     It is a case of looking in $2 shops and anywhere  they sell cheap kids necklaces.     Sharney got his from a supermarket's toy section.     He bought that many that the ladies there suspected him to be a paedophile.    You can also import them from the US as they have a great assortment of dedicated trout and salmon beads in all the usual colours.    Might pay you to also try Aliexpress craft section.   

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 11:46am